Val d'Isere: 01/30/24 - Tignes

jamesdeluxe

Over our last two days at Val d'Isere, we didn't hire a guide, so @TonyC took over those chores to show me as much terrain as possible, including the huge Tignes sector. Most of the following on-mountain pix are from him. Here, Liz and I are standing at the Checkpoint Charlie dividing line:
IMG_4510.jpg

Tignes is known as the highest ski area in Europe and for having the continent's longest ski season:
IMG_4511.jpg

The 12,600-foot Grand Casse with a glacier to its right:
IMG_4514.jpg

This is the lift-served Grande Motte glacier at approx. 12,000 feet high, which hosts lift-served skiing in most years for up to ten months:
IMG_4515.jpg

It also provides inspiration for the 70s-ish logo of Tignes:
logo-tignes.svg

Lining up for the tram:
20240129_102843.jpg

After waiting about 15 minutes, the tram finally arrived. Oddly enough, only one car seemed to be in operation. There wasn't a second one to "balance it out."
20240129_103911.jpg

As promised, Grande Motte had the best conditions in the entire resort. Here I am enjoying soft, "carvy" conditions at the top of the world. The surface lift on the right is used for spring skiing.
IMG_4522.jpg

With the village of Tignes far below, Tony mentioned that the "snow terraces" you see in this pic are built to protect the snow from wind during winter and it's then groomed out for late spring skiing:
IMG_4523.jpg

He traversed to the looker's right and found this gorgeous offpiste pitch:
IMG_4526.jpg

From the chair, you can see the glacier trail that I just skied at the top, which funnels down to a steep section below in the lower left. I'm told that glaciers usually don't have this much pitch. Look how small the people look from this angle.
IMG_4532.JPG

The Grand Huit chair looks like it sits in a huge volcano crater:
IMG_4540.jpg

A hand-drawn sign warning beginner snowboarders about long flat sections ahead:
20240129_113106.jpg

Wide, mellow runs are especially fun when surrounded by this amount of gorgeous scenery and very few people to share it:
IMG_4586.jpg

IMG_4587.jpg

After I headed back to the hotel mid-afternoon, Tony and Liz paid a visit to the famous Aiguille Percée ("pierced needle") rock formation:
IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4546.jpg

And also stopped at the Folie Douce for a round of drinks and Euro disco:
IMG_4565.jpg

Instead of paying $25 in tolls on the highway back to Geneva, I took the scenic route past Lake Annecy. The town of Annecy is very pleasant and would rate highly as a headquarters to spend a winter:
20240131_113826.jpg

I stopped in both directions at this Lidl with a mountain backdrop for snacks:
20240131_120640.jpg

The obligatory photo of the airport bar that sports my son's name. I still haven't visited it because my incoming and outgoing flights always go through Geneva in the early morning when it's closed:
20240201_064856.jpg

Keepin' it real with this oldtimer gondola at an airport cafe:
20240201_083024.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your trip JD.
Great pics and write up.
Tignes has the highest golf course & Annecy the cleanest lake in Europe.
❤️ The Alps.

Great pics. I finally got to go to Europe last year and we went to Zermatt. I have to say that I personally think everything about skiing in the Alps is better (village, food, parties, views, nightlife, hotels etc...) except the actual skiing. I find conditions to be way better in NA. Due to this we staying in NA again this year and going to Sun Peaks because its on the ikon pass and we are in Canada (SW Ontario). The next year however we are looking to go to the Dolomites.

PS That is my name as well :)

Last edited:
I finally got to go to Europe last year and we went to Zermatt. I have to say that I personally think everything about skiing in the Alps is better (...) except the actual skiing. I find conditions to be way better in NA.
Not to be argumentative but I'd suggest that one visit to one specific place in a mountain range with 1,100 ski areas isn't much of a sample size to base that conclusion.

Just like anywhere, there are regions that statistically get more snow (e.g. Vorarlberg, Upper Rhone Valley, Aletsch Arena) or preserve snow better (e.g. Val d'Isere, St. Moritz, Ischgl). Still, statistics and probability scenarios don't account for timing and luck -- over the years, I've gotten skunked more than once with scratchy conditions in the vaunted SLC Cottonwoods and scored fresh snow at low-elevation Swiss areas like Mythen and Atzmannig.

"You gotta go to know" -- BTW, who here gets credit for first posting that line?

How is Claude? Remember your Pocono TR w him yrs back
Hey CK -- hard to believe that was 13 years ago at gone-for-good Alpine Mountain. Whenever I visit my brother in the northeastern Poconos, I drive past it and get that lost-ski-area wistfulness. Claude finishes high school this spring. He likes skiing but does better with swimming and track so we concentrate on those sports.

I'd like to know how long their golf season is
Basically summertime. “end of June to the beginning of September it says”. Similar season length to the highest course in NA at Cooper my brother and I played.
Tignes looks to be even more dramatic scenery as yer pics indicate.
A local realtor asked to join us at Copper. He hiked/skied to summit all the local mountains around that area. Good guy.
They have a competition too where it looks like folks whack it from the tee box on #18 which looks to be shown at 18 seconds in their above video.
and how they make it profitable.
Looks like they make money or the course wouldn’t be in such nice shape. Golfing is fun especially at beautiful places with family and/or friends.
Has a littler par 3 course too.

Last edited:
Back