Two Days in Telluride

raisingarizona

Last week my friend Nick and his wife Holly invited me on a quick trip with them to Telluride for two days of skiing. I couldn't turn down the opportunity and much needed break from my schoolwork.

Here is a little music to go with this TR. This Alpha Blondie song was used for the Telluride segment in Greg Stumps cult classic Blizzard of Aahhh's.

From Flagstaff any journey to the San Jauns of Colorado starts with traveling across Navajo country. The Res is a beautiful, mysterious, and dangerous place. The people are among the poorest within the United States. Many homes still don't have electricity or running water.

"The world we suggest is a new wild west. A sensuous evil world. Strange and haunting, the path of the sun." Jim Morrison.

The brave new west.

IMG_0478_2.jpg

The Baby Rocks and a trailer.
IMG_0475_2.jpg

"Getting drunk was good. I decided that I would always like getting drunk. It took away the obvious and maybe if you could get away from the obvious often enough, you wouldn't become obvious yourself." Charles Bukowski.

"Two dollars? How about a five?"
IMG_0468_2.jpg

Colorado Avenue, Telluride.
IMG_0507.jpg

Nick and I had hoped to spend a lot of time hiking the terrain on Gold Hill and Palmyra and finishing the trip with a tour to the San Joaquin Couloir but unfortunately with a mostly snowless three weeks prior, the conditions in the back country were what we would describe as difficult or challenging at best. We decided that our time would be better spent skiing the area and chasing the sun for good snow.

The San Joaquin Couloir with Tempter Bowl in the foreground.
IMG_0501_2.jpg

Holly drops into Mountain Quail.
IMG_0494_2.jpg

"You can discern the pessimist from the optimist by just looking at how people react to snow." Iveta Cherneva.

Nick makes his way up the Palmyra shoulder.
IMG_0499_2.jpg

Cute renovated miners cabins that sell for around two million dollars today.
IMG_0506_2.jpg

"Well take me the way. To the next whiskey bar. Oh don't ask why. Oh don't ask why." Alabama Song, the Doors.

For 5 dollars you get strong cocktails in a pint glass at the Buck.
IMG_0510.jpg

Nick harvests the corn on Milk Run.
IMG_0488_2.jpg

Chair 9 and the bumps of Kant-Mak-M.
IMG_0514_2.jpg

Revelation Bowl from the observation deck.
IMG_0515.jpg

Looking down at town through Bear Creek Canyon.
IMG_0516.jpg

So even though conditions were less than ideal for the kind of skiing we were hoping for it didn't matter. Telluride has plenty of skiing for all abilities and conditions. I actually had so much fun buzzing steep groomers while we waited for things to soften up. If you haven't been there it should definitely be on your list. It's a skiers mountain and one of the most classic quintessential mountain towns in the world. The scenery isn't so bad either.

Back