Top Picks for Underrated and Overrated Comedians

Woodski12

Name some. Here are a few.

Underrated - Paula Poundstone - Bring her back!

Overrated - Nick Swardson - Hilarious guy but his standup routine is really not good. He reminds me of Jackie Martling. I love Jackie and Jackie is hilarious but his jokes are so bad.

Curious cases...

Bonnie Mcfarlane, Joe List - I'm a fan of both but not all of the time. I think Bonnie's did a roast that was pretty epic but I recall not liking her standup.

I don't think one can over rate George Carlin. Of all professions, a comedian - comedian! set policy for all broadcast media as to the words you can't say over the air. Now that's influential.

Those with a clean act, like Kathleen Madigan, really impress me. When I first heard Ron White's routine about how he got to the venue in a small plane, I was laughing so hard that I had a hard time breathing (it was live).

I think Rodney Dangerfield has the best joke I've ever heard....."My dad's an alcoholic....you mention work and he gets drunk." Clean, quick, a little bit of edge, somewhat self deprecating, widely understood and funny.

Overated are the late night hacks. Kimmel, Colbert, Maher, sadly, Jon Stewart lately, but the top prize goes to Fallon.

Underated? Me! Getting material ready to kill them at Thanksgiving dinner! Captive audience.

It's a shame Bill Cosby turned out to be sexual predator. His routines were always clean. I would play his albums on long car trips when my kids were young and they would laugh like crazy and the time would go by fast.
One I think is underrated is Greg Warren
Overrated; Jim Gaffigan. IMO I don't think he's that funny and his voice is whiney.

Overrated = Jerry Seinfeld. Despite Seinfeld being one of the best shows of all-time. Plus the real genius behind the Seinfeld show was really Larry David anyway.

I was listening to Eddie Murphy Delirious a couple of months ago, still hilarious 40 years later.

Yeah I'm old : but FLIP Wilson always slayed me especially with his irrevervent Reverend Leroy and Geraldine Jones routines , also loved Cosmo Kramer and Costanza on Seinfeld

Can't stand Kevin Hart specially after watching Tom Brady roast ,now I don't care for Brady ,but Hart was simply disgusting to me

I kind of agree with this. But that said, Jerry got the laughs without going dirty.
There's a lot to be said for that.
The Diceman is GOD in my book ! He has shaped me into the wonderful human that I am now.
But .....a non-dirty comic that gets laughs - that's something unique....and good.

Back