Toggenburg, CH: 12/17/23

jamesdeluxe

By Sunday, my sixth and final ski day of this inaugural 2023-24 trip, various early-season aches and pains in my legs and hips had become more pronounced, so I took my time getting out of the hotel and didn't arrive at my destination, Toggenburg, until 10:30 am. Of course, CNYers know Toggenburg as the beloved family ski hill south of Syracuse that closed a few years ago. I never skied there; however, I drove or rode my bike past it many times and it's shocking to see how big the original one in the old country is!

Located about an hour directly east of Zurich near the Liechtenstein border, I had a fantastic December powder day at Toggenburg six years earlier. Despite the low visibility, it was clear that there was some stunning topography that I would need to experience on a sunny day, so I chose Togg over a number of other worthy mountains whose surfaces I'd scratched in earlier visits, including Arosa-Lenzerheide, Pizol, Tschiertschen, and Flumserberg. I bought a four-hour day pass for 59 Swiss francs, approx. $63, the most expensive ticket on this trip but still a value compared to what that amount of money buys you in the U.S. Unexpectedly, when I drove up to the base area in Unterwasser two hours after lift opening, instead of directing me to some far-flung parking lot, the attendant waved me through to a spot only 20 yards from the ticket window. Swiss hospitality!
🤠

Toggenburg has three distinct terrain sectors named after the villages at their base: from left to right Wildhaus, Unterwasser, and Alt Saint Johann. Wildhaus is not lift-connected to the two sectors on the right so that'll have to wait for a future visit. You're looking at 4,400 vertical feet top to bottom; however, most of the skiing is done on the upper 3,000 feet unless it's a storm day and you want to stay in the trees.
Toggenburg-Mountian_pistemap.jpg

After taking the funicular train up from the valley, you switch over to a tram to go to the peak, Chäserrugg (pronounced KAYZER OOHG), through this incredible rock formation:
2023234442.jpg

Reverse shot looking downhill:
20231217_144442.jpg

At the top are incredible 360-degree views and lounge chairs for proper Euro relaxation:
20231217_120222.jpg

Peeking 6,000 verts over the edge onto the green Rhein Valley below with the east/west autobahn to Zurich:
20231217_120357.jpg

Hundreds of non-skiers come to Chäserrugg with dogs, small kids, ice cleats, and what not to enjoy the groomed ridgeline trail (completely separate from the ski terrain), which takes 90 minutes to complete:
20231217_120523.jpg

Along the peak is a wide mile-long run serviced by a t-bar. It's gentle so the main fun there is to scan the gorgeous landscape while carving big wide turns. While Toggenburg had maybe half as much natural cover as St. Moritz to the south, there was more than enough and the groomed snow was absolutely perfect.
20231217_120750.jpg

Alongside the t-bar:
t-bar

Connecting further down to the lower mountain:
lower mountain

A beautiful trail into the crotch of Chäserrugg:
Chäserrugg

Everything down here is shaded due to being north-facing and the low sun in December:
north-facing

Moving over to a beautiful offpiste run:
20231217_124827.jpg

The atmospheric Stöfeli mountain house:
20231217_121747.jpg

Drinks at a mid-mountain hut in Alt St. Johann:
20231217_133355.jpg

Watching a helicopter doing a practice rescue:
20231217_130654.jpg

Sharing the lower trails with sledders:
20231217_122519.jpg

By 3:30, I skied back to my car. While it wasn't the soup-to-nuts Togg experience I was hoping for (a lot of terrain was left on the table), it was a fun, relaxing day. Another great Alps trip in the can!

Stupid beautiful
Looks perfect

Nice!!

Didya see any goats?
The breed Toggenburg started in Switzerland.

On the other side of The Alps in Pinzolo folks have a parade with their Rendena cows.

Last edited:
Back