The Lost Squadron Greenland Recovery Expedition

Ripitz

I was on the 1990 Lost Squadron recovery effort as an honorary member of the Greenland Expedition Society. In 1942, 6 P-38s and 2 B-17s were forced to land on the Greenland icecap. They were abandoned and the pilots rescued. Almost 50 years later the planes were located. We were able to reach a P-38 that year which was then 250ft under the ice but not get it out. That was done in 1992. Legendary Polar explorer Norman Vaughn who was 84 at the time was with us on the expedition. Amazingly he was the one who had rescued the pilots. The whole thing was a wild experience especially since I was only 16 years old.

Sadly a lot of my pictures were in a shoebox that got wet from a leaky pipe. Not fun discovering that and trying to peel them apart. There are a few that survived. I’ll see if I can find them.

This is a piece of the P-38 that we reached.
P38 Echo Recovery

And a 50 caliber bullet
50 caliber bullet

This is a 360 panorama of the airport in Kulusuk that I stitched together using blown up 8x10s. It’s 7ft long.
airport in Kulusuk

The middle picture shows the DC-3 with skis that we used to get to the icecap.
DC-3 with skis

Last edited:
I was on the 1989 Lost Squadron recovery effort as a member of the Greenland Expedition Society. In 1942, 6 P-38s and 2 B-17s were forced to land on the Greenland icecap. They were abandoned and the pilots rescued. Almost 50 years later the planes were located. We were able to reach a P-38 that year which was then 250ft under the ice but not get it out. That was done in 1992. Legendary Polar explorer Norman Vaughn who was 84 at the time was with us on the expedition. Amazingly he was the one who had rescued the pilots. The whole thing was a wild experience especially since I was only 16 years old.
Amazing story Ripitz. How long were you there?
Dad was radioman-top turret gunner in a B24 in the South Pacific. He told us stories of P38s.
Here’s a PBS show.

This fella tells the story.

Last edited:
That is awesome! I watched a documentary some time ago.
The process of drilling a hole with steam was crazy! The weight of the ice and snow really did a number over time.

The Key Bird story is cool as well but a sad ending.
Thanks!

Amazing story Ripitz. How long were you there?
Dad was radioman-top turret gunner in a B24 in the South Pacific. He told us stories of P38s.
Here’s a PBS show.

This fella tells the story.
Thank you for posting that Tski. I had never seen those videos. Very emotional watching them. True heroes.

Are you in the yellow jacket or blue hat in the first video picture @20 min.?
They look like younger folks than the rest of em.

Are you in the yellow jacket or blue hat in the first video picture @20 min.?
They look like younger folks than the rest of em.
No, I think that was 3 years after I was there

DC-3 on skis
1638635254466.jpeg

Recovery site from the air
1638635340886.jpeg

There were actually two holes that were dug the year I was there. A 4ft one that was melted by the super gopher that made it all the way to the first P-38. It was created mainly to inspect the condition of the plane and retrieve pieces to dangle in front of investors. The other hole I believe was 16ft in diameter and was created by a modified silo unloader. It chewed its way down towards a B-17 with the intent of getting it out. The camp was divided between the two holes and since there wasn’t enough resources for both the larger hole was abandoned.

This is the larger hole from the air.
1638636102320.jpeg

Here’s one of me on a snow machine.
1638636186053.jpeg

I think there is a photo album somewhere. I’ll try to find it.

Last edited:
I was in charge of snow removal. That was a full time job.
1638639207580.jpeg

1638639240550.jpeg

Just remembered clearing ‘Main Street’ and finding the top of the flagpole that was from the abandoned camp from the previous summer.

Last edited:
Badass
If I may ask, how in the hell did you land that gig? Especially being 16?
Pretty cool in my book
OK, here’s the story.

Despite having humble beginnings my dad and uncle worked hard and did well from themselves. My dad worked for IBM and my uncle was a veterinarian. They both had adventurous spirits and developed a passion for aviation. They became pilots and shared a private airplane. In 1985 they decided to go big and took off in their single engine Mooney in the New York to Paris Transatlantic Air Rally. They flew the northern route over the Arctic so they could make the necessary fuel stops. During the rally at a bar in Scotland my dad heard someone tell the story of the Lost Squadron in Greenland and that people were looking for them. When my dad returned home he told the story of his adventure to interested friends. Among them were the Pizzagalis from Vermont. They had a large construction company that did a lot of work for IBM that my dad project managed. In telling the story of the Air Rally he mentioned the Lost Squadron. A couple years passed and they called to say remember that story you told us about those WWII planes? They found them and we won the bid to get them out! We need you to come with us!

So, in 1989 my dad and uncle went up to join the expedition. They couldn’t stay the whole summer because of work commitments and after a couple weeks came home with plans to return later. When it was time to go back my uncle couldn’t make it. He was invited to speak at a veterinarian conference in Las Lenas, Argentina. Since the tickets were already booked and there was an empty seat I was invited to join. It was an opportunity of a lifetime. An experience that changed my life forever.

They will always be my biggest heroes.
1638677597631.jpeg

Last edited:
... During the rally at a bar in Scotland my dad heard someone tell the story of the Lost Squadron in Greenland and that people were looking for them. When my dad returned home he told the story of his adventure to interested friends...
Hearing stories told at a bar and then telling them forward appropriately for the win.

The first time I saw the picture “recovery site from the air” my mind saw what looked to be someone had tipped over an ashtray on the snow. Then I figured out how high up it was and it made sense.

I bet your Dad didn’t have to twist yer arm to get on that plane with him. Attaboy young Ripitz ? ?

Great adventure.

This came out August 2020.
Enjoy

Last edited:
Back