The Highlands, Harbor Springs, Mi 2/29/24

MiSkier

After a couple days of around 60 degrees and rain,a cold front came through and The Highlands (formerly know as Boyne Highlands) got some lake effect snow and they made snow so I took a day off of work and made the 4 hour drive north. The forecast was for a high of 22 with clouds and sun. I pulled into the parking lot just after 9am and I still am not used to midweek skiing. I have never seen their lot so empty.

IMG_4706.jpeg

I went in and got booted up and met a friend of mine Bruce and his buddy Jim and we headed out to what is the lower peninsula’s largest ski area.

IMG_4741.jpeg

IMG_4740.jpeg

Over the summer Boyne installed a Doppelmayr 6 passenger high speed detachable bubble chair with heated seats. While a lot of people think the lift is overkill, it did replace three other lifts and with the layout it made the south side of the hill much more accessible. Also that had to be the most comfortable lift even without the heated sewers or bubble i have ever ridden.

IMG_4743.png

IMG_4709.jpeg

The snow was groomed, firm but not icy. Coverage was very good and midweek crowds sure help also.

IMG_4710.jpeg

IMG_4715.jpeg

IMG_4714.jpeg

IMG_4716.jpeg

IMG_4717.jpeg

The Highlands is about 3 miles north of Little Traverse Bay which is just off of Lake Michigan. The view is great and the pic does not show just how great the view is.
IMG_4707.jpeg

When you take the view Interconnect chair to the North Peak on a clear day you can also see the Mackinac Bridge which is about 25 miles as the crow flies away. Unfortunately it was too hazy to the north to see it.
But what we could see across the valley is Nubs Nob.

IMG_4744.png

While they are competitors, a handful of years ago, there was a fire at the Highlands. The Highlands had to shut down for a week or so and Nubs was nice enough to honor any tickets that were already purchased for the Highlands and let those people ski at no charge.
So after a great day of skiing we went across the street to Nubs to have some of there locally famous curly fries and a beer. The beer was cold and the fries did not disappoint.

IMG_4720.jpeg

IMG_4728.jpeg

IMG_4739.jpeg

IMG_4738.jpeg

All in all it was great to feel like a retired person even if it was just for the day. No lift lines and fresh track all day is a great way to spend a Thursday and as always we made a mountain out of a Michigan mile hill.
Also one more nice touch that the highlands has is the put glove warmers/dryers on some of their heaters. That is definitely thinking of your customers

IMG_4719.jpeg

I had a good time at Highlands in January. While it has a bit of a resort feel, it still feels like a local spot. Being able to see Nub's from Highlands and vice-versa was different.

Back