The Devil's Skillet - Plateau Mtn 12/18/2022

APphysics

There aren’t many apparent natural features that yell out “ski me!” in the Catskills. Most of the worthwhile lines in Catskills are hidden from plan sight and need to be sought after. The Devil’s Skillet is quite the opposite. Like that of the Arizona slide (aka, the AZ Rip and Ride) or its neighboring slide off Blackhead—towering and impressive when covered in snow—all can been seen from the comforts of the drivers’ seat.

IMG_3575.jpeg

When heading north on 214, this craggy outcrop imposes its presence upon the looker for a moment and then disappears amongst the trees. Located in the nether region of Plateau mountain, one can start their journey up the steep Devil’s Path to gain access.

On December 18, 2022, I headed up to see if this featured was as daring as it led itself to be. We recently had a two to three foot dump. Temps were low and the snow was still light and fluffy. Already having had a tour earlier that day, I knew the conditions were very suitable for hiding the bigger boulders that lurked below the snow. Just starting out, I took note of a decent sized open area on hiker’s left just as the DP trail steepens. Upon reaching 2700’, I left the trail and headed north, traversing along the ever steepening slope until the first snowfield came into view. This marked that I was on the far right side of where I wanted to be. Being that this my first approach to the Skillet, I chose to stay under the cliff face to guarantee skiable access. The first snowfield is quite short but offers a slope of about 35 degrees. Not many turns would be made until you became surrounded by trees. Across this open area, trees create a separation between the first field and the larger main field. I maintained a lateral projection best I could trying to rendezvous with the base of the cliff that crowned the objective. Once on the right side of the main snowfield, I booted up to gain more elevation through waist deep snow and into a shallow cave. This was the highest point I could achieve without crampons. Here, I made a platform and transitioned to downhill mode. This route is drawn in Green.

IMG_4559.jpeg

There are two main lines from this stance: one through tight but skiable trees, popping out about 150’ lower on the snowfield. This would be the preferred line, but one major hazard is that there is a large blow down blocking the chute to the rest of the lower snowfield. The snow was not deep enough to ski over this tree. The other line is to make two or three turns on the aforementioned line and then cut skier’s right into the girth of the main snowfield. This was the chosen line of the day.

IMG_3568.jpeg

The slope, 35-40 degrees, made for fun fast turns in perfect powder. Ripping down through the trees and then slowed by the hard right turn. Aiming the planks downhill again passing by a few brush copses. The main snowfield ends at a constriction. There are plenty of other lines to ski upon this field but you’ll always have to make your way to this constriction. In total, it’s about a whopping 3-400’ of skiable vert.

IMG_3570.jpeg

Once back in the trees below the Skillet, I fought through some tight lines of large boulders and birch. I found another short section of widely spaced trees for a few turns, stopping short above the crags that the Catskills ice climbers treasure. Remembering the inviting open area near the start of the uphill, I slowly traversed south and was able to gain the top of the lowest snowfield. These were the last blissful turns of the day. Blasting back onto the Devil’s Path, I shot back to the parking area.

I came back on March 15, 2023 (Blue drawn line) and found that continuing up to 2900’ and then turning left off trail is the easier approach to gain access. This will put you up on top of the cliff band that guards the snowfield. That day, I side-slipped down some tricky rocky areas. The snow was dense and wet making this decision justifiable.

Another visit came the very next day on, March 16, 2023 (Yellow drawn line). Accompanied by my friend, Crawler, this outing aimed to ski the highest point possible. We found it (by rappelling in) and afterwards we found an easier way to achieve it without the trouble of ropes (Red drawn line).

20230316_114038.jpeg

Crawler and I have given the Skillet its nickname due to its southwestern facing aspect. In the sun, the snowfield is quite bright and hot. The snow melts fast so get it while it’s fresh—it goes out fast—one instance, it took 72 hours to become unskiable.

If anyone knows of this features real name please share. Also, if anyone else has skied the Skillet, please share your story.

Sweet first post!

Would love to hear your story

Sweet first post!

Would love to hear your story

thank ya!

Back