Sun Valley ID: 02/17/2019

chrsdipietro94@

Drove from Pebble Creek to Hailey ID, on the night of the 16th. Hailey is about 20 minutes away from the ski area.

Sun Valley has seen a ton of snow throughout the past couple of weeks, but nothing new had been reported over the past couple of days. We weren't disappointed. It was cold, but the sun was out periodically, and provided plenty of warmth. The snow softened up nicely as the day progressed. We initially sampled snow from the Warm Springs chair. We had skied 6 of the last 7 days, so off piste was a lot of work for tired legs. We decided to stick mainly to the groomed surfaces. There was plenty to choose from. The crowd was minimal. It was a good recovery day. There is a ton of snow here... I think they're in for a fantastic Spring season.

Wild Life in the Area
Moose.jpg

Traversing Chair
LookoutMtnChair.jpg

No lines
NoLines.jpg

Valley View
ValleyView.jpg

Nice moose. SV has always fascinated me based on its history and the fact that Warren Miller started his career there while wintering in a teardrop camper in the parking lot but a lot of people badmouth it nowadays. I still want to go.

Nice moose. SV has always fascinated me based on its history and the fact that Warren Miller started his career there while wintering in a teardrop camper in the parking lot but a lot of people badmouth it nowadays. I still want to go.
It's in between a eastern and western mountain. The week I was there it skied like a east coast mountain. I'll be back someday.

I stayed at Sun Valley 15 years ago- the place is steeped in Hollywood star/ski star/glam skiing history. I loved this aspect. Must have been a thousand vintage pictures of Hollywood greats, skiing and having fun, hung on halls, rooms and everywhere.The main lodge was built to look old but is really concrete based (clever those railroad engineers!).
Not being a downhill skier, I did not ski their hills. The snow was missing in March so I did not ski their XC offering either. But, 20 minutes up the road, and some 2000 feet higher is Galena Lodge and the Sawtooth mountains. They had plenty of snow, excellent grooming, enthusiastic local xc trails that were perfectly maintained. Galena Lodge is mostly a day lodge for lunch and warming up from XC. They also have a few yurts that people can rent to overnight in.

I really enjoyed SV..Like said above, it's a cross between a eastern hill and western one...Hope to go back one day..

Noticed that the Cold Springs expansion at Sun Valley is on schedule to be completed for 2020-21. Adds 380 acres of mostly advanced/expert terrain.

Ketchum is a nice ski town. I'd go back during a season I got an Epic pass.

This is one place i regret never having skied . Just the historical aspect alone makes it an icon , but alas at my age now , it ain't in the cards

Grief : DID XC for 30 years B4 i took up DH Seriously . I still do it

Back