Sugarbush South, VT: 04/13/07

jamesdeluxe

Another day of storm skiing. I pulled into the Sugarbush parking lot at 8:30. Sugarbush reported 13 inches overnight, which was spot-on. I got first tracks down Sunrise off the North Lynx lift, and while it was deep, it was also pretty heavy compared to what I skied at Stowe the day before — one of those moments that you actually envy snowboarders. I went back up and did laps on Birch Run, and that was much easier to ski, with only 6-8 inches of fresh snow on top of the groomed base. The best runs of the day were Castle Rock Run (really soft bumps all the way down) and Moonshine (ditto).

Also, you forget how much great tree terrain is at Sugarbush South (lots) and most lines were completely untracked (I mean nothing anywhere) with perfect openings between the trees to just rip all the way down. The powder there was really easy to make turns in, and I didn’t touch bottom once the entire day. April 13th, incredible. On the way home, I read in the Burlington newspaper that Sugarbush now plans to stay open into May. Short of a week of 70-degree temps, they certainly have enough snow to do that.

file.jpg

Sunrise

file.jpg

Sleeper

file.jpg

Birch Run

file.jpg

Castle Rock Double

file.jpg

Moonshine Trees

Sugarbush may be one of the most underrated mountains in the East. Jay might have more tree skiing, Stowe better snow and altitude, Killington more terrain, and Mad River more gnarliness, but the Bush has a nice mixture of all of the above and it’s just far enough north to hold down the numbers of tourists from points south and east.

With the two Sugarbush areas and MRG just down the road, you could easily spend four days in the Valley. And they have MRV lift tickets that cover both areas through your lodging for $37 a day, which is a lot cheaper than Stowe. It’ll be interesting to see how Sugarbush develops as it beefs up its base and gets rid of the goofy 70s feel that made it feel past its prime for the last few decades. You can still see remnants of that on the road connecting Mount Ellen and Lincoln (German Flats?)

Last edited:
Back