Solitude, UT: 12/18/22

jamesdeluxe

For a long stretch, I made a point of starting my season in Utah; however, five years had passed since I was there last, before Alterra transformed the ski industry with a pass covering the four Cottonwoods ski areas, Deer Valley, and more recently Snowbasin. I decided to kick off my 2022-23 season with four ski days in BCC, staying with my NJ expat friend Bryan, who moved to a condo at Solitude Village eight years ago and has been living the life ever since.

The only sub-optimum news was that I arrived just after a handful of powder days and was looking at a period of cold temps, sun, and high-pressure. Still, I was happy to get my ski legs out of storage on mostly soft conditions with occasional hardscrabble on steeper, high-trafficked sections.

Uncharacteristically, I wasn't in a photo-taking mood until Day 3 when Bryan got a few decent pix of me on a favorite intermediate trail at Solitude, Diamond Lane off the Powderhorn chair:
Diamond Lane 1.jpg

Since we're only a few days away from the winter equinox, the light is odd right now with big shadows and wildly varying colors depending on which direction you're shooting:
Diamond Lane 2.jpg

Diamond Lane 3.jpg

I was happy to learn that Bryan had added to his quiver a variation of the Kästle ski that I've been on the past four seasons -- mine on the left are from 2017; his are from 2020.
20221218_094847.jpg

Table cornhole at the Roundhouse:
20221216_133345.jpg

I wrapped things up with a dip in the outdoor pool:
20221218_143118.jpg

On Saturday evening, they held a 65th anniversary celebration for the resort with guest speakers, memorabilia, photos from across the decades, and birthday cakes. Apparently, I was one of the few people in attendance who wasn't familiar with the story of how the resort came about. Founder Bob Barrett was skiing at Alta and not provided access to a men's room. He was so incensed that he decided to build his own ski area in the next canyon over and thus began Solitude.
20221217_173536.jpg

Commemorative Koozie:
20221217_173301.jpg

An interesting factoid that I learned during the presentation -- following the snowless winter of 1976-77, Solitude went into foreclosure and reopened in 1978 under new ownership. Here's the trail map from that year showing, from left to right, the original Powderhorn and Moonbeam chairs along with the Inspiration chair, which covers most of the terrain now served by the Eagle chair.
Solitude 1978.jpg

In 1982, they added the Sunrise and Summit chairs on the looker's left along along with the SolBright connector to the Brighton ski area further up the canyon.
Solitude 1982.jpeg

Here's a 1988 newspaper clipping with the announcement of Solitude's plan to create a European-style base village:
20221217_171229.jpg

This is what the village looks like today -- on our way to the 8 am lift opening, which they just started this weekend:
20221215_171729.jpg

Bryan and his colleague Rodger, a former professional exploration geologist, lead an interesting bit of programming: a twice-weekly geology tour of Solitude where you learn how the terrain was created starting more than 700 million years ago -- a shallow sea (up to 600 feet deep) sea deposited sediments across a landscape similar to today's East Coast.
20221217_125347.jpg

This was followed by mountain building over the last 70 million years as the Pacific Oceanic plate slid under the North American plate along with extensive glaciation during several major ice ages, including the most recent one that peaked 25,000 years ago.
20221217_120658.jpg

Here, Rodger points out folding and faulting on the left, as well as magma that had intruded into the existing rock, causing uplift to the left of the Honeycomb Canyon gate:
20221217_124021.jpg

They also mentioned the comparatively recent mining history of Solitude and the Cottonwood Canyons, including major events that happened at places I've skied past dozens of times over the years. Here we stopped at Lake Solitude in the Summit sector, where a major avalanche that killed several miners in 1911 occurred.
20221217_130820.jpg

Last edited:
interesting bit of history...great report as usual..
seems like a few pp kicked off their season in utah this year

For anyone who's wondering about the current situation due to Solitude's status as Alterra's only base-IKON pass that's accessible on weekends -- I was warned that on peak days you need to be at the BCC 7-11 by 7 am or you'll be parking on the side of the road and walking in your boots for up to two miles, yikes. The drive down-canyon at the end of the day is reportedly a pretty awful red-snake experience too. Luckily, I didn't have to deal with that thanks to the slopeside lodging.

As far as lift queues: during the entire four days, Friday through Monday, all of the chairs except Moonbeam were (shockingly) ski-on and I didn't see much crowding on the slopes except a tiny bit at the bottom of the Moonbeam sector. In short, the issue on peak days is getting there and back; however, the mountain's layout and lifts disperse crowds effectively once on the hill.

Thanks for the info I have a friend going out in a couple of weeks

For anyone who's wondering about the current situation due to Solitude's status as Alterra's only base-IKON pass that's accessible on weekends -- I was warned that on peak days you need to be at the BCC 7-11 by 7 am or you'll be parking on the side of the road and walking in your boots for up to two miles, yikes. The drive down-canyon at the end of the day is reportedly a pretty awful red-snake experience too. Luckily, I didn't have to deal with that thanks to the slopeside lodging.
Was that mostly based on what happened in Dec 2021? The amount of snow in LCC/BCC this Dec makes for a completely different situation than last year. Meaning in terms of terrain availability and the number of open lifts at the four mountains combined. A traveler who intends to use Ikon for Solitude for a few days is more likely to go ahead and spend an Ikon day at Alta or Snowbird this month. In Dec 2021, probably wouldn't have "wasted" an Ikon day at Solitude.

Thanks for the info I have a friend going out in a couple of weeks
When I went outside to get coffee every morning at 7 am, there were already people walking through the base village to be ready for the 8 am lift opening. That seems to be a best practice to avoid traffic/parking issues, even on non-powder days.

Thanks JD
Your reports are always fun to read!!
Much appreciated!

Interesting to note how the various mountains are dealing with the crush of skiers due to the Ikon Pass. Three or more occupants get free or highly discounted parking. They really lower the boom on single-occupant vehicles, especially over weekends and holidays -- see below.

Ridesharing is important to Solitude Mountain Resort and is essential to reducing congestion in Big Cottonwood Canyon while improving air quality. Our parking rates are tiered based on vehicle occupancy. Paid parking will be in effect daily from 12:01 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. during the winter season. All Ikon Pass and Solitude season pass holders can ride the UTA Ski Bus for free.

Parking payment can be submitted via TAP N SKI mobile payment or with one of the many payment kiosks located throughout our lots.

DAY USE RATES
Early Season (until mid-December) & Late Season (after mid-April):

• Single vehicle occupant: $10
  • Two vehicle occupants: $5
  • Three vehicle occupants: FREE*
  • Four or more occupants: FREE*
    • *Carpool tiers that qualify for FREE parking must register their plates in the system using a carpool parking coupon, which can be obtained by any parking attendant.

Mon - Thurs, non-holiday and off-peak times:
  • Single vehicle occupant: $20
  • Two vehicle occupants: $10
  • Three vehicle occupants: FREE
  • Four or more occupants: FREE

Fri - Sun, holidays and peak times:
  • Single vehicle occupant: $35
  • Two vehicle occupants: $25
  • Three vehicle occupants: $10
  • Four or more occupants: FREE*
    • *Carpool tiers that qualify for FREE parking must register their plates in the system using a carpool parking coupon, which can be obtained by any parking attendant.

Back