Solitude, UT: 12/15/18

jamesdeluxe

I skied the last two days of this visit at Solitude, which is now part of Ikon Pass and most people here in BCC have been raving about how it's transformed their winter lives locally: unlimited skiing at Solitude and five to seven days each (depending on which version you bought) at Brighton, Deer Valley, Alta, and Snowbird. Must be nice to have those kind of options within a 30- to 40-minute drive.

Following Thursday's eight-inch storm, with sunny and dry weather, conditions are nice except on heavy-traffic trail sections. The only downside to the new Ikon Pass world is that Solitude is noticeably busier on weekends; weekdays it's nice and quiet as before -- walking to the lifts from the main village with no one around:
001.jpg

Another big change since I was last here two years ago is that they replaced the summit chair and moved it lower on the mountain, which allows you to take the Apex lift to connect to the summit: two high-speed lifts to the top.
004.jpg

005.jpg

Our favorite frontside sector is off the Powderhorn chair with soft baby bumps most of the way down:
008.jpg

010.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

We did three fun runs through Honeycomb Canyon, which was in good shape for early season. Unfortunately, due to the low sun, it was mostly in the shade, so not conducive to great pix. Not sure what happened to the map at the summit gate:
006.jpg

Me:
020.jpg

Bryan:
019.jpg

021.jpg

Stopping for lunch at the midmountain Roundhouse is great because they have a Himalayan/Indian-inspired menu at reasonable prices -- sure beats burgers and fries.
017.jpg

Working with the naan bread:
018.jpg

My lunch:
022.jpg

Also worth noting was a Crazy George sighting. He's been an institution at Solitude for years and used to wear a Tom Sawyer straw hat and overalls; he's changed over to this fashion choice:
002.jpg

Last edited:
Back