Solitude, UT: 03.29.09

jamesdeluxe

With the way things have been panning out in the northeast, this weekend was looking to be my season closer. Originally, I wanted to make it an ADK trip, then I started thinking that Sugarbush would have better conditions. Finally, with vacation time penciled in for Mon, Tues, and Weds, and a much better forecast for out west, I called a last-minute audible and cashed in some FF miles for a four-day trip to Utah.

Today was Solisunday with BobMc and the Maggot crew. We headed up just as the snow started flying. By the time we got to an empty Moonbeam parking lot at 9:15, it was dumping pretty hard, and that kept up all day. There was an evil refrozen bottom lurking underneath in a lot of places, but by late morning, everything was skiing nicely and we found lots of soft goods in Headwall Forest and Queen Bess Woods:
file.jpg

Me Exiting the Queen Bess Woods

file.jpg

BobMc in Queen Bess

file.jpg

Fame of song and story: the Fortress of Solitude

I hadn’t been to Solitude in two years, so it was my first time there since they replaced Moonbeam and Apex with high-speed quads. I understand that the idea was to get people out of the new Moonbeam day lodge, but still, I’m scratching my head about the decision to upgrade Apex. To me, Powderhorn or Sunrise would have been a better idea. Solitude remains an enigma among ski resorts.

Last edited:
Back