Skin Sizes

sig

I bought new skins and have reservations about the length. They are supposed to fit skis from 155cm - 166 cm. I assumed they needed to be cut based on your size. I attached a photo of my old skins verse new ones. You can see how much of the tail is exposed. The dealer is telling me they are proper length.
Dealer quote:
"There is very little traction from the tail end of the ski, the majority of traction comes from underfoot."
Can anyone verify this?
When I skin everyone seems to have skins that go tip to tale. Don't want to trim them until i am sure. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2743 (1).JPG
    IMG_2743 (1).JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 92
"There is very little traction from the tail end of the ski, the majority of traction comes from underfoot."
Can anyone verify this?
When I skin everyone seems to have skins that go tip to tale.
I use both full length and kicker skins. You won’t have as much traction with shortys on icy or steep tracks. If your skis have a lot of rocker it might not matter. I’ve had more problems with skins that are too narrow. Having a good skin cutting tool is clutch

That G3 does look a little short on the tail.

Not sure how much it will matter.

I bought new skins and have reservations about the length. They are supposed to fit skis from 155cm - 166 cm. I assumed they needed to be cut based on your size. I attached a photo of my old skins verse new ones. You can see how much of the tail is exposed. The dealer is telling me they are proper length.
Dealer quote:
Can anyone verify this?
When I skin everyone seems to have skins that go tip to tale. Don't want to trim them until i am sure. thanks
I also use full and kicker skins. Kickers are usually good enough unless you are on quite steep terrain. I would agree that most of the traction you need is under foot, not at the tail of the ski. With the G3 pictured I think you could climb up a wall with that width.

Back