Skiing in New Hampshire

SayvilleSteve

I have never skied in New Hampshire, but my daughter (who also skis) just started college in Boston, so that is about to change.

Looking for intel and any pros and cons on the offerings in the Granite State. From what I read and based on my preferences (Gore, Whiteface, Jay, Smuggs and Sugarbush) it seems like Cannon is the best bet for a challenge, Bretton Woods has the best snowmaking/grooming, and Loon has the biggest crowds.

I can ski just about anything and her preference is steep groomers (e.g., Skyward) so pointing us in that direction is a plus. We also have some flexibility to avoid weekends, so crowds aren't necessarily a dealbreaker and we don't have any passes (Indy, Epic or Ikon).

Thanks in advance!

For steep groomers: Cannon, Loon, Attitash, Sunday River, and Burke (even though Burke is in VT, it is almost a straight shot up I-93 and closer to Boston than Sunday River and same time as Wildcat... I consider Burke unofficially part of Ski 93). Burke is one of the best area in the northeast for groomers, their blues often ski as blacks at other areas.

Don't forget that many places in Vermont are closer than many areas in New Hampshire to Boston. For example, Killington is less than three hours from Boston (if you are going mid-week, make sure you are out of the 95/495 belts before rush hour starts). Sugarbush is the same drive as Sunday River (which boarders NH and is best lumped in with the other White Mountain areas when considering skiing from Boston).

Cannon's front five area is straight up steep groomers, quick laps. Over on Mittersill, there is a slope and a trail used by the Franconia Ski Club for race training, those surfaces are hard and fast. Cannon can be brutal in cold and windy weather, frozen groomer tracks abound when it hasn't snowed in a while and after a rain/freeze event. Definitely the easiest to access major mountain in NH from Boston. If you are not skiing with your daughter (i.e. you can get away from the steep groomers), Cannon's glades and offmap are amongst the best in the northeast... when Cannon has enough natural snow (no guarantees, many mediocre and bad years recently). When there isn't enough snow, whatever is open will make you a better skier through suffering and survival.

Plan for an extended trip to Saddleback and Sugarloaf (not day tripable). Lots of steep groomers at the top of those mountains. And the Loaf is quite unique as far as eastern areas go.

Bretton Woods is the flattest major mountain in the northeast, skip.
Check out Wildcat.
Certainly. But not for steep groomers.

Consider checking out Tenney. Right off I-93 and relatively close to Boston. Won't have a crowd on weekends.

For steep groomers, consider Waterville Valley. Have a high speed lift almost to the top can mean plenty of runs midweek.

Loon can be a better idea if Cannon is going to be icy and/or have windholds. Personally I enjoyed Loon more than Cannon when I was sampling New England skiing a while back when my daughter was in school in Boston.

I would not suggest WV for someone that favors steep groomers, and definitely not Tenney (perhaps the least steep mountain in NH).

Thanks for the input so far. Wildcat, Burke and the Maine resorts are a bit further than most of the others. I really want to get to Burke someday, but I'd rather hit it with someone who likes the trees. Hear you @riverc0il re: Vermont, but we have hit those mountains already and may end up deferring to Killington based on conditions.

Leaning toward Loon for the end of semester pick-up and Cannon for later in the season. Am I correct in thinking that Ragged, Gunstock, Waterville and Sunapee are similar to Southern Vermont?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t rule out any mountain in NH although neither Tenney nor Black have any high speed lift but might offer some glimpse into the past. Also Whaleback while not big or having any high speed lifts does offer some steepness.

While I would consider Ragged an intermediate mountain there are some steep sections although nothing steep top to bottom. However, there is a lot of variety there so it skis “big”. Definitely worth checking out.

Waterville’s True Grit is a steep and challenging groomer worth checking out. Also skiers left at Waterville can be a lot of fun but not overly challenging.

Leaning toward Loon for the end of semester pick-up and Cannon for later in the season. Am I correct in thinking that Ragged, Gunstock, Waterville and Sunapee are similar to Southern Vermont?
NH areas ski different than VT areas. No run outs in NH. Less natural snow and fewer natural snow trails (in general). Tree skiing is more soft wood than hard wood and less expansive. Natural snow cuts cut down to frozen base much faster and natural snow trails are rockier, in general. The Whites are a more rugged mountain range than the Greens. Given their proximity to Boston and ease of access, you get more day trippers.

You'll find a lot of the smaller and medium size mountains are enjoyable, but can usually be fully explored in a single day and may not hold your attention. But there is a bit of old school charm, as Abubob suggests.

I really like smaller places like Black, Whaleback, and Dartmouth more than mid-sized-plus mountains like Ragged, Tenney, Gunstock, Sunapee, and Waterville. But I would only go to those smaller areas when the snow is good and all options are on the table.

As far as steepness, my comments were in regards to the mountains as a whole. For example, I wouldn't call Mount Snow a steep mountain, even though it has Ripcord.

Back