Ski Podcasts

Benny Profane

I got into podcasts a few years ago as a free and easy way to entertain myself while driving. Now I listen to them working out. This summer I've discovered two podcasts all about skiing and the industry. One is the Storm Skiing Journal and podcast https://skiing.substack.com/archive created by a Stuart Winchester. It concentrates it's coverage on the northeast. There's some really good in depth interviews of major players in the east, like the owners of Plattekill, and managers of Sugarloaf, Killington, and Sugarbush. The link I shared is for his journal/blog, but, if you want to access just the podcasts , there are many apps for that. I use Castbox. Apple, of course, has their own.

The second podcast is Wintry Mix, produced by Alex Kaufman, and has been around for a while. https://castbox.fm/va/1354269 Kaufman is from the east and moved to the front range and reports out of there. Good stuff. Check out his recent podcast about Bluebird, a skin only (no chairs) "resort" near Steamboat. Fascinating. https://castbox.fm/vb/310453259

Stuart is a great writer and an excellent guy. Really fun to ski with too.

I have never really been into podcasts, the only driving I do or any duration is to ski, and I can resist using music and phone calls for that. I was obviously very interested in his last pod about Jay Peak, and I've met Steve Wright and have a ton of respect for him, so I listened to the whole thing while working the other day. It's excellent:

One thing about my view of writing and Stuart. I am inherently bias to think that people have a very short attention span. The result — you may have noticed — is that our front page content tends to stick to a limit of around 500-800 words, and we try to mix in good pictures to keep readers interested.

Stuart blows all of this out of the water. He can bang out 2000 or 2500 words incredibly quickly and it's really engaging stuff. I read him cover to cover. If he stays at it, and I think he will because he LOVES it, he's really going to make a name for himself.

stuart-in-the-trees.jpg

Stuart rocks pow at McCauley

Stuart's Storm Skiing Journal podcast is great, I've enjoyed hearing from resort owners and managers as well as 'media' folks from NELSAP and Vermont Ski+Ride. Way more interesting then many 'pro interviews' and gear discussions imo. Another source I like for regional news/weather/conditions is the 'Northeast Skiology Group' on Facebook. Owner Matt posts some really thought out industry thoughts as well as pretty good weather forecasts.

Is there some sort of income in that?
My guess is no, but that's not his motivation.

The number of people making a living producing winter snow sports content is very small. Even the guys I'd met from Powder, while full time, were more about love of the game.

I bet Plake does ok. Not sure about Stump.

Stuart’s podcasts help my 3.5 hour drive to ski go by faster. I do also like that he does do interviews that are from Michigan also

Stuart talks slow and pauses a lot. Somehow, his guests seem to mirror his delivery every time so here’s my tip- play him at 1.25X speed. He almost sounds like a real New Yorker that way.

To hear someone interview Stuart, check out the new podcasts by the Marketing Manager of Wachusett. He's part of the next generation of the owning family who is getting more involved in operations.

July 2022

Back