Silvermine Lost Ski Area 10-12-2016

Brownski

image699.jpg

My kids had so much fun last year when we climbed the old ski hill at Silvermine Lake that we decided to go back and explore some more. We started out on the smaller trails that are hidden behind the trees to the right of that first pic. I was happy to see that somebody had mowed a lot more of the area then in past years. Just a couple inches of snow should make the mowed areas skiable.

image696.jpg

image628.jpg

We climbed up through the woods above the little slope and angled back towards the bigger trails as we climbed. The trees are actually pretty far apart in here. There's some dead fall so I would guess you'd want maybe two feet of base before skiing this but it looks like it would be fun with enough snow on the ground. There's a little stretch of a work road or maybe a connector trail back here too.

image445.jpg

image422.jpg

image565.jpg

We explored around the top of the hill for a while, found some rocks to climb on and an old rusted trailer. We've hiked around here several times in the past and never happened upon the trailer before. Pretty cool.

image783.jpg

We came back down the "expert slope" that is on the left side of the first pic.

image768.jpg

image124.jpg

image0.jpg

You can't hike here without checking out the old lift shacks and machinery.

image677.jpg

image847.jpg

This is where I found the coolest potential line of the day. It seems to be the path of one of the old surface lifts that hasn't quite grown in completely. It's just a narrow little path right down the fall line in the middle of the trees between the two wide trails in the first pic.

image608.jpg

image321.jpg

Back