Schilthorn/Mürren, CH: 03/16/18 - Bond World 007

jamesdeluxe

Following the near perfect day at Grindelwald/Wengen on Wednesday, overcast skies returned on Thursday so we did some sightseeing in nearby Interlaken. Luckily, the Friday forecast was bluebird during the first half of the day, giving us the opportunity to check out another bucket-list stop in the Jungfrau.

After leaving the Autobahn, there's a fork in the road -- left to the Grindelwald and right to Mürren, and 90% of the traffic was turning left so we were looking forward to a comparatively uncrowded day. Here's what it looks like driving up the valley toward Lauterbrunnen, with towering cliffs on both sides of the road:
002.jpg

004.jpg

When we arrived at the parking lot in Stechelberg, there's a taste of what's to come 6,300 vertical feet uphill -- a billboard for a James Bond exhibit covering the 1969 film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service," which was partially shot at the Schilthorn peak. The film starred Telly Savalas as the villain Blofeld -- who ran the diabolical SPECTRE organisation, which planned to unleash some sort of germ warfare on the world -- and the Australian George Lazenby, who took over after Sean Connery decided he didn't want to be permanently typecast as 007. Here's the famous nighttime ski chase scene

... and a daytime chase featuring an avalanche:

One can only guess how much the Ian Fleming estate received to license this:
048.jpg

In the tram buildings you hear audio bumpers of music from the movies and they've planted all sorts of visual reminders, including a backpack for the employee running the tram:
006.jpg

To reach the summit, you have to take four different trams -- I like this old-school diagram:
005.jpg

The cable cars seemed to be timed to arrive at the same time:
007.jpg

40 minutes later, you arrive at Gloria Peak:
015.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

016.jpg

"Curling on the terrace"
011.jpg

I'd always assumed that this was a prop camera iris in the Bond opening scenes; however, I was told that it's actually the inside of a gun barrel.
018.jpg

The men's room:
019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

Oh yeah, and then there's the skiing:
012.jpg

013.jpg

017.jpg

My wife and I enjoying the buttery soft snow starting out from the top with a nice steep pitch, This is where George Lazenby was at :55 of the nightime ski chase linked above -- exactly 50 years later. Look at those boots he was wearing back then!
023.jpg

027.jpg

030.jpg

Looking back at Gloria Peak:
031.jpg

Further down:
032.jpg

033.jpg

Drinks in an igloo:
035.jpg

The vertical never seems to stop:
037.jpg

039.jpg

We stopped for lunch at 1 pm:
043.jpg

While eating, it started getting overcast, which actually worked out for us as the lower half of the ski terrain didn't get sloppy:
041.jpg

042.jpg

43a.jpg

43b.jpg

044.jpg

047.jpg

Around 3 pm, we decided to call it a day and downloaded on the two lower cable cars. Arriving back in Brienz — and that's it for this trip:
049.jpg

050.jpg

Last edited:
Back