Rocker vs Carver

DomB

Some what I think are interesting observations about fat skis vs. all mountain carvers below after skiing a carver for essentially the first time below. Welcome any input:

I had the chance to switch out my super fun J ski Master Blaster (wide under foot, very playful in bumps and trees, strong, early rocker rise, essentially twin tip, metal laminate with maple) for a low rocker, 'long edge' ski - Head e-titan 82 underfoot. It triggered a lot of thoughts about ski type and thought it would be interesting to mention and hear from thoughtful ski type folks that hang out here.

The biggest change I notices was very early engagement of the inside edge on outside ski/ inside edge of inside ski at the start of the turn on the carver. Second thing I noticed was much more edge hold and stability at speed over the J skis.

The third thing I noticed was the feeling of going back to the J ski - I felt the work I have been doing to engage the new edges early-ish (it is physically impossible for me to engage them as early as the carvers).

The only negative I noticed was that after 10 hours of skiing (8 on the Js and 1.5 at ski bowl on the carver), I almost hooked the carver skis on a lazy turn as I got tired (ie I think the carvers doing what they were meant for me to do and catching me for skiing lazy in a way the J skis would forgive).

Anyway, hopefully I did not waste too much of anyone's time, but now I see why people buy more than one pair of skis. This has me thinking a long edged ski with decent side cut in the 80s is the way to go . . . . The only thing I did not get to do was take em in trees or rows of bumps. Handled occasional bumps fine.

I would imagine the 82 underfoot would be fine for anything under 8 or so inches of powder. I have taken the Js in 2 feet of powder with no substantial issues.

Dom, it sounds like you may have had an Ah-hah moment. Having another set might be a good idea for the amount of skiing you do. I almost blew my knee out once when I got complacent at speed with carving skis and they hooked. They definitely need to be on edge. There’s nothing like the springy pop you can get with a true cambered ski.

Spongeworthy nailed it over a decade ago:

Thanks both. I may end up getting something somewhere between mid 70s to low 80s underfoot with less rocker (pretty significant rocker and early rise now).

I have to get a Ptex job as I did my first core shot ever (down to the white) showing a friend's daughter how to ski over a death cookie (likely easier on those early rocker skis) in anticipation of what we might see on Foxlair yesterday. It was the right call as that was pretty gnarly around 9 am on Sunday. Dust on crust, cookies, and occasionally some very nice easily turnable spots.

Back