Question: All Terrain Offroad Tires, 20" Wheel for all weather and better mpg

DomB

Hey everyone! I have a question about switching out All Terrain tires (3 season use) for all weather tires (winter - for better mileage) if I ever get the R1s. Can you guys let me know how this stuff works? I am the guy who just pays the mechanic (though I can change oil and when I was in highschool I helped my awesome Father In Law replace a seal between the engine and transmission of a car - he is super handy).

The context is I want to get the 20 inch wheel for the Rivian with AT tires; that could take the mileage down to about 280 miles, with a conservation mode 300 miles. Rivian has an all around wheel of 21 inches with smaller diameter tire that gets the 316 epa rating, but that wheel size is fairly uncommon.

SO I am trying to think about if it makes sense to get the AT tire on the 20 inch wheel and then in winter switch to an all weather tire, which should increase mileage. PLEASE assume I am aware of the fact that the all weather will be less safe/less good performance in the winter - i am largely ok with that for the purposes of this thought exercise. Thanks!

Hey all!

I am excited with what I saw in Rivian's S-1, and while the company has not communicated well since RJ's summer letter, I feel confident I will get a LE R1s by June. My question for this group relates to how to think about a second set of tires that would be road friendly, roughly like the 21s if I get the 'free' 20 upgrade available to LE holders.

Question: If I get the 20 wheels with the AT tires (which are so beastly and awesome in person but I guess will get around 280 miles, or 300 in conserve) but then want to buy road/all weather tires for that 20 inch wheel, is that relatively easy to do? Is it just a matter of either switching the tires onto the wheel or paying a mechanic to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Facts:

In the summer I would love to have the ATs, and in the winter all weathers that are more mileage friendly.

I am a tire novice. I have a CRV where all i have to do is buy tires every 5 years, and a second car that largely sits in the drive way so tires never get changed.

I'll be driving the R1s 240mi shots in the winter one way many weekends to ski/get to the mountains from metro NY, vast majority on Interstates.

Original post:

Back