Poll: What Catskill Ski Area is Most Different from the Other 3?

What Catskill Ski Area is Most Different from the Other 3?

• Hunter

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Windham

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Belleayre

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Plattekill

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters

NYSkiBlog

Administrator
The possibility (or likelihood) that Windham may become a "club" inspires a question:

In your opinion which of the four* lift-served Catskill ski area is the most different when compared to the other three?

Why? Explain your thinking below. Note that "different" doesn't necessarily mean better or worse.

Repeat: This is not about which hill you like the best.

*No disrespect to Holiday Mountain.

5 minutes in the base lodge of Windham and Hunter puts them in a similar category of "ski resort." Belleayre and Plattekill are "ski areas." Belleyare has a gondola and two lodges but no slopeside lodging. Still, it's closer to feeling like a resort to people who haven't skied more than a season or two.

Plattekill is unique from the time you get to the parking lot. Looking down at ~1000 vertical with no flat spots makes it clear to any skier good enough to enjoy the bumps non-stop that Plattekill is worth the extra driving time.

Reactions: MC2
As I mentioned above it was the Windham Club thread that got me thinking about this.

Some might say Plattekill is now private as much as it is public, with mountain rentals. Does this make it more like Windham? Is Belle the most different because it is publicly owned? Is Hunter the most different because it is owned by a large publicly traded company? I haven't voted yet because I just don't know what I think.

As I mentioned above it was the Windham Club thread that got me thinking about this.

Some might say Plattekill is now private as much as it is public, with mountain rentals. Does this make it more like Windham? Is Belle the most different because it is publicly owned? Is Hunter the most different because it is owned by a large publicly traded company? I haven't vote yet because I just don't know the answer.
I think you just solved your question. They are all uniquely themselves.

I guess my question is for all is...

What are your criteria? To you which is the most different?

It’s been too long since I skied Windham and Hunter. I should rectify that.
Never skied any of em but in order of preference to ski their slopes it’d be:
Platty, Belle, then Windham.
I ain’t goin ta Huntah.

I hated it. It’s so unattractive and inorganic to me. It lacks class and it’s done with zero respect to the mountain it was built on.
I agree but if we're going for which one is not like others...

I go Belle first for consistency, Platte second for snowfall, Windham may be private soon?

Back