Plattekill's Bumpin' Blockbuster Mogul Contest

Harvey

Administrator
(Not sure this actually qualifies as a TR, since I didn't ski, but...)

I've never had a bad day at Plattekill, and today was no exception. When we arrived it was bluebird...

1-Parking-Lot.jpg

..and any evidence of the inversion was below us...

2-Inversion.jpg

I hung out on the deck, and at the bottom of the triple, trying to goad some additional young rippers into joining the competition. Jen Kabat was judging (for Style = perfect) and I wanted to get a bunch of pictures to post. It was my way of participating in the closing weekend festivities for a many NY ski areas.

4-Jen-Climbing.jpg

Style Judge heading up

Words from a wise man in a much colder time...

BLOCK-is-HOT.jpg

On this day it was true as ever, or maybe even more...

5a-Bumpfield.jpg

The BLOCK WAS HOT.

In what I thought was a major cool move, Laszlo left Blockbuster open all day for non-competitor traffic. Based on the sun skiers right was the side to take pictures from, and I times I'd have to look up to dodge oncoming traffic, or get sprayed by whatever hot shot was ripping by...

5-Tele-Guy.jpg

This was not an easy course. I never made it all the way to the top to check out the first kicker, but I saw some sweet jumps off it. The bumps themselves were pretty big (2-3 feet?) and really soft based on the temps.

When the competition got started the kids went first. There were some fearless young rippers...

7-Vajtay-Jr.jpg

Future Catskill Ski Resort/Real Estate Mogul

8-Air-Jr.jpg

Air Junior

9-Bump-Kid.jpg

"Who was that masked man?" This kid had some sweet runs.

10-Bumper.jpg

The courage of the snowboarder guy who took on the course was off the charts. He hit the kicker, handled a bunch of the bumps, then flew off the course, almost taking my head off. (My bad not his.) He then crashed, bounced up, and finished the course with a pretty good time.

11-Snowboard-Crash.jpg

12-ML242.jpg

ml242

12-Tbatt.jpg

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

14-Bump-Flyer.jpg

15-Team-NYSB-Climbing.jpg

"Carry That Weight"

17-Air-Tbatt.jpg

The Screamin' Demon

20-Sean-Riley.jpg

Noted Local, Sean Riley The Platty Treemeister

21-Bumper.jpg

22-Laszlo-Before-Crash.jpg

Green Boots takes 1st Place in Ski Area Owners Age Group 48+

After the competition ended some of the top rippers found a kicker on Face and put on a show...

Kicker-Practice-on-Face.jpg

Too much is never enough

5_10150652111472221_511742220_8833067_1818548832_n.jpg

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about.

Then it was time to give out the prizes and give the sponsors their due...

23-Master-of-Ceremonies.jpg

Master of Ceremonies

Ladies-Represent.jpg

Ladies Represent

Best-Overall.jpg

Best in Show

The first annual Bumpin' Blockbuster Mogul Challenge was born in the mind of the newest member of the Plattekill marketing committee. It was a great event, that we'll build on for next year. At the end of the day Laszlo was already planning upgrades for the event for 2013. Thanks to all who came out and made it a success.

Last edited:
Back