Plattekill, NY: 3/29/15

Harvey

Administrator
Ski Day 34: Some are starting to get tired of skiing, yearning for spring. I'm not tired of ski season one bit. Except maybe for those 4:30am Catskill alarms that remind me it's time to get up, post the weather on NYSB, make coffee and hit the road.

Catskills-Wakeup-1.jpg

Blessed are the Bleary

But when I get to Meeker Hollow any tired crankiness slips away. Friday night I was thinking about a rare late start, but after skiing the surprise snow on Saturday, Marcski recommend being there for first chair.

Giant-Slalom-1.jpg

Giant Slalom

The first chair call was a good one. My new boots are super supportive and brand new stiff and I carved out three laps on Plunge before it saw another track.

Trenches-1.jpg

Plunge.jpg

Plunge

The groomers were excellent, but we couldn't help dipping into the bumps on Plunge and Block. First thing they were crunchy under the new snow but as the morning wore on they got softer. Crazy people that we are, this had us thinking... trees.

Catskill-Freeheel-eyes-the-trees.jpg

Catskill Freeheel eyes the trees

We dropped in and it was surprisingly good. You were barely penetrating the snow, but somehow it wasn't scratchy.

Catskill-Freeheel-in-the-trees-1.jpg

But in the end the snow was getting so soft out on the trails, that's where we spent our time.

Harv.jpg

John-on-Freefall.jpg

John T on Freefall

After ignoring the triple all day in favor of the double side, Face became the place to be after about 2:30. It softened the most in the afternoon sun and we ripped. One last time. Or two. Or five.

Cream-Cheese-Inspector.jpg

Cream Cheese Inspector (More Cowbell!)

At days end we headed to the bar for music, merriment and beerz.

Plattekill-Deck-1.jpg

Jan soaks it up

As Dorothy once said "There's no place like home."

Back