Plattekill, NY: 02/27/10

jamesdeluxe

The Catskills were the big winner in the recent multi-day storm that hit the northeast. Along with Hunter, Windham, and Belleayre, Plattekill bagged a legitimate 60+ inches of snow over the past three days and got a few inches more today. When lifties went to retrieve skis from people who forgot to keep their tips up (I did it twice), they’d sink almost up to their shoulders. Apparently, Plattekill was the only ski area in the Catskills that didn’t suffer from power outages today. The huge amounts of snow toppled trees onto power lines and KO’d lift service, according to all reports.

Harvey, Jason, and I were happy that Platte has such a nice, consistent pitch, because the heavy snow would have stopped us in our tracks in a lot more places than it did. Harvey accurately defined it as “neither powder nor mank.” Once, I was on a lift with some guy who said “I went to school in Seattle. Great terrain out there, but this is what the snow is like more often than not.” It was a fun, but tiring day, and makes me realize that the powder we do get here is actually very acceptable. Our real issue, as has been discussed ad nauseum, is temperature fluctuations.

Here are a few pix of Harvey, who looked accomplished in the bumps:
file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

While Jason was skiing The Chute, two teenagers were standing around shouting their friend's name. They were concerned so he joined in on the search. Finally, he heard a voice in the woods and came upon this on the trail’s edge. Turns out she stopped to answer a text, slipped off the trail, and tumbled into the woods. It took Jason a half hour to dig her out of neck-deep snow.
file.jpg

Plattekill only has 1,100 verts, but in addition to the trails that are cut straight down (some people like ’em; I don’t), there are several nice narrow trails that snake and roll interestingly through the woods (Twist, Ridge Run, The Chute). Given the amount of skiable trees there, it was painful to see all that untracked snow laying there undisturbed — heaven for snowboarders, but unless you had 140-waist skis or amazing fore/aft cement skillz, tough going.

Harv’s wife wondered asked why he can’t dress more like Jason the rockstar:
file.jpg

Roadside snow levels that you don’t see too often in the Catskills:
file.jpg

Last edited:
Back