Plattekill, NY: 01/22/22

jamesdeluxe

With no new snow since the recent storm, it didn't make sense to be booted up at opening bell, so I arrived at Platte around 10:15. While -7 on my car thermometer was cold enough, it was comfy compared to temps further north (my uncle near Virgil called to say that it was -18 there).
001.jpg

Pulling into the ticket booth, the weather seemed pleasant enough: blue skies, zero wind, and not as frigid as the valleys:
002.jpg

Given how preposterously little natural snow has fallen so far this year (24 inches according to the Platte website), I'd argue that conditions were surprisingly good. Most of the groomed trails at the top were snowmaking scrapefests; however, once you got past the initial pitches, there was enough loose snow to put a nice edge into. Throughout the day, the Northface double was more or less ski-on while the triple was 3-5 minutes unless you were a single.

As always, my favorite trail is short but sweet Ridge Run (I fixed the crooked sign on the left after this pic). Odd, I could've sworn that RR was always a blue square -- when did it change? With a thin layer of snow from the recent storm, it still felt nice and I only hit a few loose rocks during the eight times I skied it.
007.jpg

006.jpg

After getting past the bony entry to Blockbuster, the left side was nice and "carvy," as Harv would say.
008.jpg

I ran into this boarder a few times and later watched him do a decent (and courageous) run through the low-tide trees.
005.jpg

Master of ceremonies Laszlo must've been happy with yesterday's turnout. Here he is serving beer at the end of the day:
009.jpg

Heading back through Arkville, which had a couple of these:
010.jpg

I timed it perfectly to hit the Peekamoose at the 4 pm opening -- my first time there in four or five years:
011.jpg

I was the first customer inside; however, within ten minutes the room filled up with the Belleayre après-ski crowd and even a wedding party. It's still gorgeous; however, I was bummed that they took out the bar (due to COVID, I guess) along with the pub food, so now it's only a high-end dinner menu -- a nice place to go on a date. Being solo, I grabbed soup and a beer, then headed home.
012.jpg

All in all, a pleasant low-key day -- I'm still a Catskills fan even though I don't get up there as much as I would like.

Last edited:
With no new snow since the recent storm, it didn't make sense to be booted up at opening bell, so I arrived at Platte around 10:15. While -7 on my car thermometer was cold enough, it was comfy compared to temps further north (my uncle near Virgil called to say that it was -18 there).
View attachment 12177

Pulling into the ticket booth, the weather seemed pleasant enough: blue skies, zero wind, and not as frigid as the valleys:
View attachment 12178

Given how preposterously little natural snow has fallen so far this year (24 inches according to the Platte website), I'd argue that conditions were surprisingly good. Most of the groomed trails at the top were snowmaking scrapefests; however, once you got past the initial pitches, there was a enough loose snow to put a nice edge into. Throughout the day, the Northface double was more or less ski-on while the triple was 3-5 minutes unless you were a single.

As always, my favorite trail is short but sweet Ridge Run (I fixed the crooked sign on the left after this pic). Odd, I could've sworn that RR was always a blue square -- when did it change? With a thin layer of snow from the recent storm, it still felt nice and I only hit a few loose rocks during the eight times I skied it.
View attachment 12180

View attachment 12181

After getting past the bony entry to Blockbuster, the left side was nice and "carvy," as Harv would say.
View attachment 12182

I ran into this boarder a few times and later watched him do a decent (and courageous) run through the low-tide trees.
View attachment 12183

Master of ceremonies Laszlo must've been happy with yesterday's turnout. Here he is serving beer at the end of the day:
View attachment 12184

Heading back through Arkville, which had a couple of these:
View attachment 12185

I timed it perfectly to hit the Peekamoose the 4 pm opening -- my first time there in four or five years:
View attachment 12186

I was the first customer inside; however, within ten minutes the room filled up with the Belleayre après-ski crowd and even a wedding party. It's still gorgeous; however, I was bummed that they took out the bar (due to COVID, I guess) along with the pub food, so now it's only a high-end dinner menu -- a nice place to go on a date. Being solo, I grabbed soup and a beer, then headed home.
View attachment 12187

All in all, a pleasant low-key day -- I'm still a Catskills fan even though I don't get up there as much as I would like.
You are a iron man
Facing a 2+ hr drive home after skiing. No way I could stop for a beer and soup.
Give me a ice cold Diet Coke and sleeve of Oreos
Let’s hit the road and hope not to die.

They used to open at 5 which I thought was redonkulous. Very cool they moved it to 4pm. I'd stop.

Nice one James. I'm most jealous of Ridge Run!

They used to open at 5 which I thought was redonkulous. Very cool they moved it to 4pm. I'd stop.
Nah, it's always been a 4 pm opening, which rarely worked for me during my Belle years, as I used to always drive past an hour before that. I begged the bartenders to ask the owner to change it to 3 pm and offer an après-ski happy hour, but no dice.

Freakin sweet James. Thanks for taking the time to put this text together.

Plattekill still looks beautiful and organic. I love that. The lack of crowds in the photos is incredible. It’s not that easy to find such quiet slopes these days. I really miss those views and everything else in this thread. It’s making me very nostalgic right now.

I really need to get back there and try to ski with some of ya. We are talking about a trip east but unfortunately the fall is probably better for us as a unit. I need to figure something out and I’m not just saying that.

Last edited:
I was there Sat with my son and yesterday. The naturals are skiing great yesterday was actually better than Sat the cold dry night made the snow softer on Sun. Trees are still bony but 12" would open up a lot. Ridge Run always a favorite big fan of Twist as well.

Back