Plattekill Mountain, NY: 3/3/13

Harvey

Administrator
Ski Day 27: I think it's fair to say that Ski Day 27 2013, turned out a hell of a lot better for me than Ski Day 27 2012. It was freakin me out a little because both Day 27s came on March 3.

Met X at the Sheraton at 6:30 and got to the hill at about 8. There was zero snow within a few miles of the hill, and we were surprised to see how much was at Plattekill's base. About half way up the mountain the trees were covered in snow and the top has a nice layer of fluff on top of everything.

X was in heaven. He pulled out these monster racing skis and ripped everything in site with a $hit eating permagrin on his face. I was diggin Freefall, Ridge Run, Laszlo's Line and anywhere else I could find poofy foof on the sides.

Catskill-Freeheel-Blockbuster-2.jpg

First tracks on Freefall for Catskill Freeheel

Ripper.jpg

Noted Local

Marcski-Laszlos-Line.jpg

Marcski drops in to Laszlo's Line

North-Face.jpg

North Face

View-From-Blockbuster.jpg

X on Block

With my first line camera broken, I'm using a second string piece of junk, so I'll have to apologize for the lack of decent pictures. This is going to be a big problem coming up. (Wanted this to be a blog piece but I didn't have the pics).

LOL of the day: We met at Patroller with big smile: Cynthia. She's from Brooklyn. She'd been a patroller at Windham and ended up switch to Platty because..."all you do all day at Windham is run sleds." She and Jen-K skied bell-to-bell from what I could tell.

On the ride home, X and I were jabbering about what the story line should be for the day.

He can chime in with his ideas. For me, the story revealed itself at the end of the day. It was my plan to leave around 3, so I could be home in time to help Zelda with all the life she deals with while I'm off skiing. I was just about to call it and we ran into Danielle who was coming out from the office to join Laz for a few runs in at the end of the day. LOL she likes skiing in the day on Sunday, because she doesn't want to deal with the "crowds" on Saturday.

I snagged her for a ride on the double to reconnect with her, as we don't get to talk very often. She had this huge Danielle smile and I wanted to know more about what she was thinking. It seems that this season was starting to erase the memory of last year. She felt that for a variety of reasons, new people were trying Plattekill and the core of loyal Plattekill skiers was growing. (njadk you da man!) Sorry to be so dramatic: I was pretty choked up as she told me about it with a very excited look in her eye.

Another great day at Plattekill in the books. Great to see everyone: Marcski, Jeff P and Kathy, Catskill Freeheel and Carol, X, Jen-K, Cynthia, Laszlo and Danielle, Macker and everyone.

The rope on the triple dropped and we were the first civilians on the lift.
1.jpg

It was classic Plattekill. 2" of overnight fresh and the snow was falling all day even when the sun popped out.
2.jpg

Plunge
3.jpg

@Harvey ripping the bumps on Plunge.
P1010921.jpg

The Northface side of Plattekill
6.jpg

Harvey working some powder.
5.jpg

Jen-K and Cynthia. Note the snow falling and the sun shining.
7.jpg

Top of the triple from the Bumps trail.
8.jpg

Noted locals at the top of Blockbuster, Bearpen in the distance
9.jpg

Last Run on Blockbuster
10.jpg

With the Plattekill snow machine cranking the trails were powdery and silky smooth. There were powder stashes everywhere you pointed your skis. It was another great day at Plattekill.

Back