NTN Upgrade Advice

Skiatomic

Sold my 75mm setup last year (Scarpa T1s (29.5 fit perfect), Elan Himalayas 180cm & Voile Switchbacks). Sold mainly due to hassle/limited control at speed of 75mm bindings/resort use.

Gonna take the plunge back in and looking for advice on new gear. Leaning towards Scarpa TX Pros or Scott Voodoo NTN, Volkl Mantra recycle (>=180cm) and either Outlaws or Freedoms. I’m 56, 6’3” 215lb former racer and just mellow on tele. Looking mainly for stable east coast resort setup to mix it up a bit when not on alpine. Appreciate any suggestions or things to consider.

I got to run out, will try to give more input later, but if T1s fit you perfectly, TX Pros may be a little wide, but IMO still the best choice. May need help from a boot fitter.

I switched from 75mm to NTN because my Axl's were trashing my new T1s. The toes broke off in half a season, 22 Designs told me it was a "known issue." Great, your best binding isn't compatible with the most popular boot.

Now I use Outlaws, and I also have a pair of metal skis (thanks @Cork!) mounted with Rottefella Freerides.

The Freerides are so simple to put on and off. If you are looking for a binding that will allow you to get off the gondola and pop in quick before all your alpine buddies are gone, this is a way to go.

The Outlaws are waaaay lighter. And great to ski once you are in them. If you get them with brakes they are a PITA to get in when brand new. Once you learn the trick (thanks @MC2) and they loosen up it gets much easier.

I was a terminal intermediate before I switched to:

• Stiff boots
• Rockered skis
• NTN bindings

That's everything I know about tele. Hopefully others who know more will share.

I switched from 75mm to NTN because my Axl's were trashing my new T1s. The toes broke off in half a season, 22 Designs told me it was a "known issue." Great, your best binding isn't compatible with the most popular boot.

Now I use Outlaws, and I also have a pair of metal skis (thanks @Cork!) mounted with Rottefella Freerides.

The Freerides are so simple to put on and off. If you are looking for a binding that will allow you to get off the gondola and pop in quick before all your alpine buddies are gone, this is a way to go.

The Outlaws are waaaay lighter. And great to ski once you are in them. If you get them with brakes they are a PITA to get in when brand new. One you learn the trick, and they loosen up it gets much easier.

I was a terminal intermediate before I switched to:

• Stiff boots
• Rockered skis
• NTN bindings

That's everything I know about tele. Hopefully others who know more will share.
Thanks Harvey - Precisely the info I needed - the Freerider's sound exactly what I'd want. Still uncertain on boots but leaning heavy towards Scarpa's. Very tempted to try Scott Voodoos but don't know anyone that uses them and online reviews are limited and mixed. The TX Pro's are a bit too flashy looking for my age bracket style but suppose I could learn to live with them if the fit and performance is similar to my old T1s.

Pulled the trigger on new Scarpa TX comps (had to import from UK) and Freerides. Now trying to decide if I recycle my older Mantra's M5s to tele or go new with some new Mantra 102s or Enforcer 100s....anyone skiing these tele? Open to other suggestions

Back