Not a Boot Backpack person...

capecodbeach

I learned a lot in my return to skiing last year. For example I had forgotten how much effort it takes to get your equipment to the lodge. Bought one of the popular boot backpacks. Liked it BUT struggled getting in and out of the straps all season long. I frequently ski alone, so no buddy or spouse to help load me up. A friend had a wheeled boot bag that he bought years and years ago. Nice big wheels, even larger than the spinner wheels on luggage! So I was thinking of trying a fold down, hand truck to help tote my boot backpack. Kind of like the 'granny carts' you see people my age toting their groceries back to the car in. Basically a mini hand truck with 3 to 4 inch wheels, and a telescoping handle that would compact down should I decide to use the parking lot shuttle. Current boot pack would bungee to the cart. I have seen various carts from $25 to $50 so not a huge investment. In my mind the wheel size could be the key element as parking lot are not the smoothest of terrain. I did consider a wheeled duffel but the smallish wheels were a concern. By design the wheels on the ones I am looking at fold inward and flat, while the base folds upward and flat as well.
Anyone use something similar ? Or have suggestions?

There are lots of specific ski and boot carts out there but I wouldn’t bother. I think you’re on to something with one of those cheap bag lady folding carts. Not sure about other places but Belleayre has Gorilla utility carts available. They are free to use and are found floating around between the ski racks and parking lot.

Last edited:
No help from me: For my money the boot bag seems like the way to go. Getting it on and off seems easier then rolling a cart through snow, slush, frozen whatever.

My advice would be to utilize the drop off zone. Dragging a cart through a parking lot sounds like trading one struggle for another

The struggle is real. I prefer to carry them on my feet.

During covid I booted up in the car, and didn't mind it much. But I don't like what it did to my boots.

My advice would be to utilize the drop off zone. Dragging a cart through a parking lot sounds like trading one struggle for another
When skiing solo, I often drop off skis near the lodge before parking. While I can handle a bootbag on my back and carry skis, I rather save energy.

What about dropping off skis/poles, then using a bootbag for stuff only. Meaning carry the boots outside the boot bag. Without the weight of a pair of boots, would be easier to get the pack on and off.

During covid I booted up in the car, and didn't mind it much. But I don't like what it did to my boots.
If there isn't a place to leave a bootbag inside, and it's possible to park relatively close, I'd rather carry stuff inside to boot up. Then walk back out in ski boots to use the car as the locker. If it's possible to leave a pair of shoes inside, I'll do that while putting everything else in the car.

Back