Nordic Boot Questions - NNN BC

ADKmike

So I bought a set of Nordic BC skis (Fischer Outback 68) and need a set of boots now. I don't know much about nordic other than I borrowed someones gear last season for a group outing in LP and enjoyed it enough to pick up a pair of skis to tool around on from time to time maybe on a bad resort conditions day/no time for large touring objective day/etc...but I need to find a set of boots that are NNN BC compatible

What's a good all around boot that's not too expensive? Anyone know of any deals? Anyone selling something NIB or used once or twice and didn't like kinda thing (Mens 7.5/8 shoe typically)?

Going to be in LP this weekend, will prob scope out some local shops for maybe a leftover or something if possible.

Not what you are asking but....

I would recommend against NNN BC, if you are going to be skiing ungroomed snow.

Are the bindings on the skis a done deal?

Personally I like a setup like this:

Something to consider, My WIFE like hers too. Much easier to control when going downhill.

i'm with Harv but you can try akers ski or ebay, probably EUR 38 or 39. Alpina's fit my foot really well, stay away from whitewoods

Are the bindings on the skis a done deal?
Yeh, they are.

"I would recommend against NNN BC, if you are going to be skiing ungroomed snow"
Can you elaborate, curious on your comments about this

Keep in mind, I'm fitting this into my quiver as something to use when not full alpine or my AT setup...so will be using for mostly flat-ish stuff such as the Jackrabbit trail or similar...not looking for great turnability, seeking light and comfortable alternatives to my usual routine

And I've got a more narrow foot I should mention since we're talking about boots

Last edited:
"I would recommend against NNN BC, if you are going to be skiing ungroomed snow"
Can you elaborate, curious on your comments about this

Years ago my GF and I were skiing, into the (Siamese) BC on a very cold day. The high temp was below zero. The snow was very deep and we broke trail several miles into a lean-to, and then cranked up our stove to make something hot to drink.

We were both on NNN BC. We clicked out easy enough but after lunch, Linda couldn't get her boot back into the binding. It seemed snow had gotten into the inner workings and maybe through friction got warm enough to melt or soften. It then froze up and we couldn't get her boot back in. The snow that was jamming up the binding isn't accessible the way it is in a 75m. There was no way to chip it out.

My sense of danger was screaming. The only way we could stay warm was to ski. And I knew we'd never get out of there walking, post holing up to our waists, in a sock.

I had that stove, and I wanted to warm it up, but all the binding parts were plastic, and I knew if we melted something we were screwed. I had Linda sit down and take off her boot, not exactly convenient at 5 below. The I started to BLOW my breath into the binding, every so often, grabbing the boot and trying to jam it in. After several minutes I got it to click in, and then Linda put her boot and ski back on.

We skied out ok, but for a while my heart was pounding. When we got to the trailhead Linda couldn't get her boot out of the binding, so she untied it and got in the car in her sock. I'll never forget those skis on the roof of her red Toyota, driving down the road with the boot in one ski.

I switched everything to 75mm after that. I don't want to depend on crappy plastic shit in the BC. If you are skiing groomers, you should be fine.

narrow foot
Me too. Scarpa, in my experience.

Years ago my GF and I were skiing, into the (Siamese) BC on a very cold day. The high temp was below zero. The snow was very deep and we broke trail several miles into a lean-to, and then cranked up our stove to make something hot to drink.

We were both on NNN BC. We clicked out easy enough but after lunch, Linda couldn't get her boot back into the binding. It seemed snow had gotten into the inner workings and maybe through friction got warm enough to melt or soften. It then froze up and we couldn't get her boot back in. The snow that was jamming up the binding isn't accessible the way it is in a 75m. There was no way to chip it out.

My sense of danger was screaming. The only way we could stay warm was to ski. And I knew we'd never get out of there walking, post holing up to our waists, in a sock.

I had that stove, and I wanted to warm it up, but all the binding parts were plastic, and I knew if we melted something we were screwed. I had Linda sit down and take off her boot, not exactly convenient at 5 below. The I started to BLOW my breath into the binding, every so often, grabbing the boot and trying to jam it in. After several minutes I got it to click in, and then Linda put her boot and ski back on.

We skied out ok, but for a while my heart was pounding. When we got to the trailhead Linda couldn't get her boot out of the binding, so she untied it and got in the car in her sock. I'll never forget those skis on the roof of her red Toyota, driving down the road with the boot in one ski.

I switched everything to 75mm after that. I don't want to depend on crappy plastic shit in the BC. If you are skiing groomers, you should be fine.

Me too. Scarpa, in my experience.

Thanks - I believe I read years ago whatever piece you pulled that story from, sounds familiar maybe it's posted on the site somewhere. Makes sense, and appreciate the input, but if I'm in snow conditions like that I hope to be on my AT gear on something with some serious pitch.

With this setup, I likely won't be far from the car and more or less on highly used routes...and probably not in any really deep snow.

I bought some skis on sale and they came with bindings, so prob going to stick with NNN BC for my purposes.

On another note, hope your build is going well, maybe see ya this season somewhere

Thanks - I believe I read years ago whatever piece you pulled that story

Sorry for the repeat. I'm sure I told that story before but I wasn't smart enough to find it and copy paste!

Thanks for the well wishes, we are way behind on getting our garage enclosed, the trusses were order months ago, still waiting.

I am hoping our cement survives the winter.

I hope to see you too, that means I'm skiing WF!

I'm sure I told that story before but I wasn't smart enough to find it and copy paste!

Thanks for the well wishes, we are way behind on getting our garage enclosed, the trusses were order months ago, still waiting.

I am hoping our cement survives the winter.

I hope to see you too, that means I'm skiing WF!
Oh hah sorry you just wrote that! I thought you maybe grabbed a clip from an old NYSB piece you wrote!

At least it's just cement and not something not more worrysome with moisture expose like subfloors!

At least it's just cement and not something not more worrysome with moisture expose like subfloors!

Cement lives outdoors right? I'm not worried about the footings and foundation walls. The cement slab is actually four slabs in a rectangle (14 x 18 each) with rebar and a drain in the center of each.

Fingers are crossed that when the snow melts the slabs aren't cracked.

If we stick built the garage it would have been more expensive, but it would be done!

So I bought a set of Nordic BC skis (Fischer Outback 68) and need a set of boots now. I don't know much about nordic other than I borrowed someones gear last season for a group outing in LP and enjoyed it enough to pick up a pair of skis to tool around on from time to time maybe on a bad resort conditions day/no time for large touring objective day/etc...but I need to find a set of boots that are NNN BC compatible

What's a good all around boot that's not too expensive? Anyone know of any deals? Anyone selling something NIB or used once or twice and didn't like kinda thing (Mens 7.5/8 shoe typically)?

Going to be in LP this weekend, will prob scope out some local shops for maybe a leftover or something if possible.
I had a situation similar to Harv’s once, not as severe. We went for a full moon ski into Fahnestock on Valentines Day night with another couple. Skied a few miles in and across a frozen lake. Stopped at a beaver dam to admire the moon and enjoy some Rumpleminz and hot tea. When we went to step back in everything was frozen. It was then that we realized we had been standing on wet ground. Our friend’s binding was totally stuck. I cleared it with a leatherman and poured hot tea on it to free it up. We had Rossignol step-ins that are difficult for novices to line up. After some effort we all were clicked in and on our way. For about 50 feet. Wet skis and cold pow are a bad recipe. This is why I always carry a scraper. Eventually, we all made it out just fine. Walking out would have sucked and crossing the lake without skis would have added to the danger.

I still prefer NNN BCs over duckbills. Rotefella BCs have a lever system that is fairly simple to keep clear and moving. I’ve skied the Toll Road, JackRabbit and Mount Marcy with that setup. Brought snowshoes to Marcy as backup in case there was equipment or terrain issues but completed the trip without using them. Duckbills feel silly to me to walk around in. I find that snowshoes, crampons and micro spikes are more compatible with Nordic boots. Hard boots with liners are only needed for overnights or if the mission is more downhill orientated.

There is no foolproof system. Nordic, three pin and AT setups can all fail. Duckbills can crack or delaminate and their bindings can snap or pull out. Wire, nails, screws, zip ties, paracord, gorilla tape and Voile straps should be in a repair kit if going in deep.

I wear Fischer BCX5s or Alpina Alaskas. The Alaskans are much warmer, comfortable and provide more control. If you are looking for local deals, Cascade XC still has a consignment section in their shop. Maybe check out what they have. Buyer beware, Slipitz bought an old rental setup there and the boots ended up giving her the dreaded toe bend crunch. That can happen though with any boot new or old. Best of luck with your search.

Last edited:
Back