Lower Rondout Creek 9/04/16

Brownski

Planned ahead so I was able to hop off the thruway on my way home from Albany. Put into Rondout creek for a little afternoon paddle. I planned on launching from Kingston but it turned out they had an Irish festival happening where I needed to park. I found a spot to launch from the other side of the creek in Esopus. Rondout creek is fascinating to me because it used to be part of the Delaware & Hudson canal in the nineteenth century when Kingston was a much bigger deal then it is now.

image227.jpg

image164.jpg

The Rondout has tons- absolutely tons- of boat traffic. There are marinas on the north side of the creek almost all the way from the Hudson River at Kingston up to the first dam/ former lock site. It's a no wake zone for the most part so all the boaters didn't really bother me.

image937.jpg

image82.jpg

Yup. That's a float plane.

image415.jpg

image127.jpg

Where there isn't a marina, there's generally some sort of industrial site. The south side of the creek is a little prettier to look at; still lots of houses and camps and things though.

image210.jpg

image386.jpg

The D&H canal had a bunch of locks on it in order to take barge traffic up and over the hills so it could follow the Walkill and then the Neversink (I think) on down to the Delaware River. I'm pretty sure this is the remains of the first dam and lock, not much to look at now.

image270.jpg

image707.jpg

image287.jpg

It was a good little paddle. I enjoyed getting back into my old boat which is usually assigned to my son lately. We call it the "bomb pop".

image736.jpg

Whoever put this rope swing up has a serious set of balls. Where it's tied off must be thirty feet up.

image324.jpg

Back