Les 3 Vallees, FR: 03/12/23

jamesdeluxe

After four days on my mid-March trip to the French Alps, I had a less than stellar record with only one of the bluebird powder outings that you hope for/expect in the Alps. With a second whiteout storm day in a row forecast for Day 5, I decided to wait it out and figure out my next move to hopefully end the visit on a high note.

At that point, I decided that given my location, only a short drive from Les Trois Vallées/The Three Valleys (3V), which continues to enjoy the title of largest ski resort in the world, I should give it a quick two-day visit. You may recall that NYSBer Face4Me spent a week there last winter and returned pretty impressed even with less than optimum conditions. From my hotel, it was 20 minutes along a flat two-lane valley road -- no need for chains, snow tires, or four-wheel drive on high-mountain passes -- to reach the back-door access point, Orelle, from which you take a gondola and a chair up 7,500 vertical feet.

They put the "world's largest ski area" tagline wherever possible and who can blame them?
Orelle Gondola.jpg

As we've discussed in years past, Euros measure the size of ski areas according to the length of marked trails instead of skiable acres -- something that makes some American skiers like me bristle a bit. 3V continues to use a brochure quote of 360 miles even after the Alps-wide 2014 Pistegate controversy, where a German cartographer did his own measurements and came up with "only" 300 miles. Regardless of how you measure the terrain, 3V is mind-boggingly huge.

Even though it's been called the 3 Vallées for something like 50 years, since the opening of the Orelle gondola in 1996 it could've been accurately renamed The Four Valleys as the Orelle sector (map below) is more than a mile wide with a ton of offpiste terrain; however, that would nullify decades of brand building (in addition to the fact that there's already a Four Valleys resort in Switzerland, i.e. Verbier).

While waiting for crews to secure the upper parts of Val Thorens, I did a handful of warmup runs in knee-deep powder on the south-facing Orelle sector with 2,800 feet of vertical and steep, frequently cliffy offpiste.
Orelle Map.jpg

Finally at 10:15, the ropes dropped and I took a separate gondola to the top of Cime Caron. Once there, instead of everyone trampling each other in a powder frenzy to get at the fresh snow that had fallen overnight, most people stopped at the edge to gape for a bit:
20230312_104231.jpg

You're looking out over Val Thorens with the village 3,200 verts below and the Les Menuires sector further down over the ridge on the left:
20230312_104135.jpg

It's far too wide to capture with one shot so here's another. I could've kept scanning much further right to get it all in:
20230312_104144.jpg

I was standing in the far right corner, which I circled in blue:
3V Map.png

Funny how based on the trail map, I had expected the lifts to be literally one on top of the other in parallel; however, that isn't the case at all. The map is heavily condensed and there's lots of space between everything.

With a 4/5 avalanche rating and being solo, I stuck to obvious low-hanging fruit on the 12-18 inches that came down the previous day. For my first run, I followed these guys with a guide not far from the vantage point above:
20230312_104554.jpg

20230312_112300.jpg

20230312_104556.jpg

20230312_104605.jpg

1,500 verts further down was more easy powder over this knoll to the left:
20230312_112313.jpg

Gorgeous vistas:
20230312_134211.jpg

By late morning, I crossed to the middle valley, Meribel:
20230312_125423.jpg

20230312_131430.jpg

Just to the looker's right of the Grange chair at the top of the St. Martin de Belleville sector, I did this nice low-angle slope three times in a row -- it extended another ten turns below the bottom right corner:
20230312_120912.jpg

20230312_125608.jpg

Because I was alone and had so much terrain to cover, lunches on both of my days at 3V were a quick vegetarian panini at an outdoor shack. In November 2013, I nabbed these 3V goggles at a French ski marketing event in Manhattan and have worn them every sunny day since. Almost ten years later, they finally made it "home."
20230312_121040.jpg

By 2 pm, I headed back toward Val Thorens.
20230312_133529.jpg

20230312_133906.jpg

20230312_134725.jpg

20230312_135026.jpg

Val Thorens is supposed to be the highest resort in western Europe. Signs said that it'll be operating during this below-average season daily until May 8 and weekends thereafter. Being north-facing and with seven lifts that go at least to 3000 meters/10,000 feet, the snow quality/preservation is excellent. It's all above-treeline so not the place to be during storms and I bet that during the beginning and end of the season a lot of people from Courchevel and Meribel hightail it over there for the far better conditions.

While I wasn't crazy about the looks of the hotels there, it has a high-energy, Austrian-style après ski atmosphere:
20230312_142354.jpg

20230312_142402.jpg

From "odd things Americans notice at Euro ski areas" -- this is the ticket area at the Orelle gondola on Monday morning with a maybe ten-minute wait. Notice anything missing? How about a ski rack! Instead, most people just put their planks on the ground.
20230312_092316.jpg

For my second day at 3V, I was adamant about seeing as much as possible so I didn't stop to take many photos. Once again, I started with three warmup runs in the Orelle sector, where 4-5 inches had fallen overnight so it was nice and soft. Crossing into Val Thorens, I did lots of short offpiste detours:
20230313_095534.jpg

Val Thorens is a pretty rocky mountain but despite the comparative low-tide conditions this season, I didn't hit anything offpiste thanks to the several feet of recent snow.
20230313_095722.jpg

Lots of soft chops between trails:
20230313_102235.jpg

Nice carvy groomers:
20230313_100138.jpg

Back into Meribel:
20230313_102412.jpg

For well-regarded Mont Vallon, I had to wait 15 minutes in a crowded line (no lift corrals) to get on the gondola. I was concerned about autobahn crowds on the way down; however, within a few hundred yards from the bustling summit, I was completely alone and it stayed that way for the next 2,700 verts. That seemed to be an ongoing motif: lots of people in certain spots but deserted across the majority of the terrain.
20230313_135031.jpg

An obligatory stop:
20230312_140246.jpg

20230312_142832.jpg

In short: two bell-to-bell days using Orelle as my access point gave me a basic overview of the 3V; however, not much more than that due to its immense size. I didn't make it to Courchevel, the valley on the far left, which is supposed to be the least interesting of the three. The entire time, I only waited for three lifts -- the rest were ski-on. The window rate on lift tickets is $72, a comparative deal for what's on offer, and it's only $58 on Saturdays (the changeover day for destination visitors).

Nice!!! Glad you got to experience it with fresh snow ... That was the only thing missing when I was there ... Other than that, it really is an incredible place!!!

After four days on my mid-March trip to the French Alps, I had a less than stellar record with only one of the bluebird powder outings that you hope for/expect in the Alps. With a second whiteout storm day in a row forecast for Day 5, I decided to wait it out and figure out my next move to hopefully end the visit on a high note.

At that point, I decided that given my location, only a short drive from Les Trois Vallées/The Three Valleys (3V), which continues to enjoy the title of largest ski resort in the world, I should give it a quick two-day visit. You may recall that NYSBer Face4Me spent a week there last winter and returned pretty impressed even with less than optimum conditions. From my hotel, it was 20 minutes along a flat two-lane valley road -- no need for chains, snow tires, or four-wheel drive on high-mountain passes -- to reach the back-door access point, Orelle, from which you take a gondola and a chair up 7,500 vertical feet.

They put the "world's largest ski area" tagline wherever possible and who can blame them?
View attachment 19557

As we've discussed in years past, Euros measure the size of ski areas according to the length of marked trails instead of skiable acres -- something that makes some American skiers like me bristle a bit. 3V continues to use a brochure quote of 360 miles even after the Alps-wide 2014 Pistegate controversy, where a German cartographer did his own measurements and came up with "only" 300 miles. Regardless of how you measure the terrain, 3V is mind-boggingly huge.

Even though it's been called the 3 Vallées for something like 50 years, since the opening of the Orelle gondola in 1996 it could've been accurately renamed The Four Valleys as the Orelle sector (map below) is more than a mile wide with a ton of offpiste terrain; however, that would nullify decades of brand building (in addition to the fact that there's already a Four Valleys resort in Switzerland, i.e. Verbier).

While waiting for crews to secure the upper parts of Val Thorens, I did a handful of warmup runs in knee-deep powder on the south-facing Orelle sector with 2,800 feet of vertical and steep, frequently cliffy offpiste.
View attachment 19546

Finally at 10:15, the ropes dropped and I took a separate gondola to the top of Cime Caron. Once there, instead of everyone trampling each other in a powder frenzy to get at the fresh snow that had fallen overnight, most people stopped at the edge to gape for a bit:
View attachment 19547

You're looking out over Val Thorens with the village 3,200 verts below and the Les Menuires sector further down over the ridge on the left:
View attachment 19550

It's far too wide to capture with one shot so here's another. I could've kept scanning much further right to get it all in:
View attachment 19551

I was standing in the far right corner, which I circled in blue:
View attachment 19552

Funny how based on the trail map, I had expected the lifts to be literally one on top of the other in parallel; however, that isn't the case at all. The map is heavily condensed and there's lots of space between everything.

With a 4/5 avalanche rating and being solo, I stuck to obvious low-hanging fruit on the 12-18 inches that came down the previous day. For my first run, I followed these guys with a guide not far from the vantage point above:
View attachment 19554

View attachment 19558

View attachment 19555

View attachment 19556

1,500 verts further down was more easy powder over this knoll to the left:
View attachment 19559

Gorgeous vistas:
View attachment 19560

By late morning, I crossed to the middle valley, Meribel:
View attachment 19561

View attachment 19562

Just to the looker's right of the Grange chair at the top of the St. Martin de Belleville sector, I did this nice low-angle slope three times in a row -- it extended another ten turns below the bottom right corner:
View attachment 19563

View attachment 19572

Because I was alone and had so much terrain to cover, lunches on both of my days at 3V were a quick vegetarian panini at an outdoor shack. In November 2013, I nabbed these 3V goggles at a French ski marketing event in Manhattan and have worn them every sunny day since. Almost ten years later, they finally made it "home."
View attachment 19564

By 2 pm, I headed back toward Val Thorens.
View attachment 19567

View attachment 19565

View attachment 19566

View attachment 19568

Val Thorens is supposed to be the highest resort in western Europe. Signs said that it'll be operating during this below-average season daily until May 8 and weekends thereafter. Being north-facing and with seven lifts that go at least to 3000 meters/10,000 feet, the snow quality/preservation is excellent. It's all above-treeline so not the place to be during storms and I bet that during the beginning and end of the season a lot of people from Courchevel and Meribel hightail it over there for the far better conditions.

While I wasn't crazy about the looks of the hotels there, it has a high-energy, Austrian-style après ski atmosphere:
View attachment 19569

View attachment 19570

From "odd things Americans notice at Euro ski areas" -- this is the ticket area at the Orelle gondola on Monday morning with a maybe ten-minute wait. Notice anything missing? How about a ski rack! Instead, most people just put their planks on the ground.
View attachment 19571

For my second day at 3V, I was adamant about seeing as much as possible so I didn't stop to take many photos. Once again, I started with three warmup runs in the Orelle sector, where 4-5 inches had fallen overnight so it was nice and soft. Crossing into Val Thorens, I did lots of short offpiste detours:
View attachment 19574

Val Thorens is a pretty rocky mountain but despite the comparative low-tide conditions this season, I didn't hit anything offpiste thanks to the several feet of recent snow.
View attachment 19575

Lots of soft chops between trails:
View attachment 19576

Nice carvy groomers:
View attachment 19577

Back into Meribel:
View attachment 19579

For well-regarded Mont Vallon, I had to wait 15 minutes in a crowded line (no lift corrals) to get on the gondola. I was concerned about autobahn crowds on the way down; however, within a few hundred yards from the bustling summit, I was completely alone and it stayed that way for the next 2,700 verts. That seemed to be an ongoing motif: lots of people in certain spots but deserted across the majority of the terrain.
View attachment 19578

An obligatory stop:
View attachment 19580

View attachment 19581

In short: two bell-to-bell days using Orelle as my access point gave me a basic overview of the 3V; however, not much more than that due to its immense size. I didn't make it to Courchevel, the valley on the far left, which is supposed to be the least interesting of the three. The entire time, I only waited for three lifts -- the rest were ski-on. The window rate on lift tickets is $72, a comparative deal for what's on offer, and it's only $58 on Saturdays (the changeover day for destination visitors).
Thanks for sharing. Wow, monster. So most of this thing is above the tree line?

Thanks for sharing. Wow, monster. So most of this thing is above the tree line?
Everything I skied was in the two valleys to the right of the map (Meribel and Val Thorens/Les Menuires) was above. Maybe @Face4Me can advise about the valley I didn't get to: Courchevel.

Do you bring your own skis or rent? Even if you didn't rent, have you scoped out what's available to rent?

Do you bring your own skis or rent? Even if you didn't rent, have you scoped out what's available to rent?
I always bring my own skis because I tend to move around to different ski regions (usually an hour or more away from each other), in which case renting isn't convenient. If I were to stay at the same resort/lodging the entire week, I'd definitely rent. Also, I get free baggage on United and AA flights. If you have to pay to check in a ski bag in both directions, that's another reason to rent.

Euros are far more into renting skis than North Americans. Especially at the mega resorts, more than 50% of the people you see are on rentals. The two reasons given are:
  • Convenience: a lot of people come by train and plane (or both) and don't rent a car so it's a PITA to schlep them around.
  • Many are "casual" skiers, meaning that they often only go on one destination trip per season and don't own a pair. For the record, just because they're casual skiers doesn't necessarily mean they can't ski well.
Given that it's a major profit center for ski shops, they tend to have extensive selections.

It's a hassle bringing them, and I love my current all around pair, but I want to try renting just to be more mobile before or after the ski part of the trip when I will be traveling around cities for, ahem, culture.

Back