Lake Minnewaska, NY: 08/21/09 MTB

jamesdeluxe

Jason and I both had today off so we ignored forecasts of heavy rain and headed up to the Gunks. Due to the high humidity and approaching thunderstorms, visibility and pix weren’t nearly as good as my Minnewaska ride last September, but regardless, we had a great three-hour ride. It’s a good cardio workout and the scenics will keep you from complaining about the lack of technical riding. Once again, for those who’ve never been, Minnewaska is one of the most stunning places you’ll visit anywhere, and it has the added bonus of three different swimming areas where you can cool off — all gorgeous and with perfect water temps.

Also, we timed this right to hit both blackberry and wild blueberry season; we were kicking ourselves for not bringing tupperware to collect our spoils. Along the upper part of the ride, there were blueberry patches literally as far as the eye could see. In New Paltz, they were selling freshly picked half pints for $3, which sounds exorbitant, but when you know how small wild blueberries are (maybe a quarter the size of domesticated ones), you realize how long it would take to fill up a bowl. The tradeoff for the small size is their amazing taste and sweetness. I feel bad for anyone who hasn’t tried them.

Picture243a.jpg

Waterhole Under Awosting Falls

Picture246a.jpg

Picture247a.jpg

Riding through a lush hardwood/hemlock forest

Picture249a.jpg

Blackberries

Picture252a.jpg

Blueberries

Picture253a.jpg

Blueberry bushes everywhere

Picture255a.jpg

Here’s how small they are

Picture260a.jpg

Looking south toward Lake Awosting

Picture263a.jpg

Jason riding through a Hemlock forest

Picture265a.jpg

Lake Awosting was lined with fragrant wild lilacs: like riding through a florist store.

Picture270a.jpg

Back in New Paltz

Picture267a.jpg

Busker Girl

Last edited:
Back