Lake Louise, AB: 03/27/07

jamesdeluxe

Oh well, I couldn't expect perfect conditions at every stop on this trip. No new snow and a lot of flat light today, so the pix aren't as good as at Sunshine. We're supposed to get four to five inches tonight; I hope that pans out.

I spent the first two hours on my mid-fats warming up on the front side and the Larch Area, not Lake Louise's premier terrain. The lower two-thirds of the front side seem like a big version of Tremblant with snow guns and trails that wind through the trees and brutally hard snow. However, the upper third, especially off the Summit Platter, a pretty steep surface lift, had some nice lines and soft snow.

In the Larch Area, there was a cool section called "Rock Garden" that was exactly that. Big rocks that stuck straight up and could be hucked from.

The reason you come to Lake Louise is to hit up the back bowls and I was impressed. Consistently steep all the way down with soft snow, although completely tracked up today... they'd be amazing to ski on a powder day. I'm sure you could spend several seasons back there finding new lines.

I'm only here for two days and will only scratch the surface, but they've got good to great coverage from above-average snowfall this season. More tomorrow.
file.jpg

Back Bowls

file.jpg

Boomerang Bowl

file.jpg

Lower Boomerang Bowl

file.jpg

Paradise Bowl

file.jpg

Juniper Jungle

file.jpg

Rock Garden