Kicking Horse, BC: 2/16/17

takeahike46er

Kicking Horse was high on my list of B.C. areas to check out, but I never had any intention of hitting it on my recent trip to the region. After all, I was staying the week in Fernie, some 3 1/2 hours away, where I figured nearby Castle Mountain and Fernie Alpine Resort would keep me plenty busy (more on that in a separate trip report). That was until rain soaked both areas to their upper elevations. Suddenly, a day trip to Kicking Horse seemed somewhat reasonable for decent conditions (plus the lift ticket was free with my RCR Card).

Though the drive was a chore, Kicking Horse delivered the goods and was totally worth the trek. Six inches of snow had fallen at mid-mountain by the time I arrived, and it continued to snow for most of the day.

FullSizeRender_46.jpg

I took a run in Feuz Bowl, but faced with extremely limited visibility up high, I decided to ski mostly to glades. Competition was limited, and I had no problem getting fresh tracks all day.

fullsizeoutput_92c.jpg

fullsizeoutput_92d.jpg

By late afternoon, the snow stopped and the clouds started to clear. My last run of the day was an untracked, knee-deep line in Super Bowl. Sweet!

FullSizeRender_13.jpg

fullsizeoutput_92e.jpg

FullSizeRender_15.jpg

The drive back was stunning, and even though I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing a day trip from Fernie, I'd happily put Kicking Horse on an itinerary in the future.

Back