Jackson Hole, WY: 01/29/08

jamesdeluxe

Ah, much better. Winds were calm yesterday and it snowed lightly the entire day. While the exposed powder from the last 24 hours was a bit stiff from the gales on Monday, in the trees, it was soft as could be. I did sweet runs down South Coulter, Riverton Bowl, and Buffalo Bowl. Big Horn and Secret Slope in Saratoga Bowl were hardly touched, even on my last runs of the day. Didn’t make it out to the Hobacks, but I heard from several people that it was like Grand Central Station there.

Sorry for the uninspiring photos, I was having camera issues again, but I fixed it (unfortunately, after the lifts closed). I promise they’ll be better today from Targhee. That’s another drag about a spouse who doesn’t like to leave the groomed: tough to get in-action photos.

file.jpg

Coming out of the trees near Casper Lift

file.jpg

Secret Slope at 3:30

file.jpg

Big Horn

In other news, on one ride in the gondola, some locals were making conversation with me and I mentioned that we were driving over Teton Pass in the late afternoon. I told them that I was in a front-wheel-drive rental and that I didn’t have chains. I got an extensive “you might want to rethink that” browbeating. I explained that I’m from the Lake Ontario snowbelt in upstate NY, know how to drive non-4WD cars in bad conditions, and have driven Teton Pass during chain laws before.

Last edited:
Back