Indy Pass Idaho - Brundage, Tamarack, Soldier

rebel1916

I used Indy last week to take a trip out to Idaho. They are not having a great snow year, but it was still well worth it. I flew into Boise (cheap tickets on Alaska) rented a car and drove to New Meadows which is a little past McCall. I stayed at the Hartland Inn. The Inn has 3 levels of rooms, B&B in the main house, mid level in the Carriage House and a strip of basic motel rooms. I stayed in the motel and it was clean and very reasonably priced. They offer a 20% discount for Indy Pass holders and a 15% discount for holders of any other pass. The Intersection offers great BBQ within distance, the Kahili is a local bar with a good steak night on Thursdays, Brown's Mountain made good burgers and has breakfast sandwiches, and Granite Mountain makes an excellent breakfast.

Brundage Mountain was my first stop. They got 3 inches the night before and I was stoked to experience "the best snow in Idaho". Brundage is laid out so the main face is mostly blue groomers running down the mountain, generally more more moderate in pitch skiers right and a bit steeper skiers left. The snow was fast and consistent and I spent my first few runs ripping fast arcs down the front. As fun as the groomers were, the real appeal is all the spaces between those groomers. There are some marked steeper bumpy pitches as well as virtually unlimited and endless trees, ranging from almost wide open, to what I would call perfectly spaced, to tight. My absolute favorite was the line below Cat Track on the far skiers left of the main face. It had been skied before I got there, but there were numerous pockets of blower to be found, as I navigated my way down. If one wasn't paying attention, it would be easy to wind up in a creek here, so don't get too far right in your excitement. There were also long stretches of widely spaced trees that were more skied out, but still fun to either side of the quad and great shots between Engen and Alpine.

Brundage's inbound gnar is mostly found in an area called Hidden Valley which is on the far skiers right side of the mountain. It is really fun, funky terrain, that in someways reminded me of MRG. Steep shots, followed by moderate pitches through the trees, dumping out onto an open steep mogul run, descending into tighter, steeper trees, rinse, repeat. There were also a ton of cliffs/rock drops, that I didn't really mess with, being old, solo, and 2500 miles from home. The various lines have names on the map, but it doesn't much matter. There is a very well marked boundary with an easy trail bringing you back out to the lifts, so there is no risk of getting lost in your enthusiasm and ending up with a long hike out.

Next I hit Tamarack. Tamarack has a long, weird, shady backstory, but is apparently back on its feet with a ton of money behind it. There is an ersatz Swiss village at the base, which aesthetically I don't love, but is way better than a closed ski resort. I started off again hitting some groomers to get the lay of the land, and then went to explore the Wildwood pod. Wildwood was fun with an area of moderate trees off to the far skiers right, and some fast blue cruisers that nicely followed the contours of the mountain. Towards the center of the pod were natural runs that were fairly open that were a ton of fun. Hoo Ya and Wahoo were right up my alley and there were plenty of options for cliff hits, for those with more testicular fortitude than I.

The upper mountain of the main face was next. The entire upper mountain is basically a huge bowl, with some bulges and outcroppings towads the middle. Right off the lift was a burnt glade that was super fun, as well as fast groomer options. On the skiers right side was an open bowl, that was steep in places, descending into multiple moderate tree runs. a steady wind replenishes the bowl on a regular basis, but also builds up a huge, intimidating cornice. I mean it was frigging house sized in spots. I beatered my way in from where it was only single digits high, and had a ton of fun finding my way through the trees into the ungroomed but mostly open Mystery Glades, or the fast blue Bliss. The mountain has a bunch of flat spots over here, so if you are staying right, it is a PITA to get back to the upper lift. The skiers left bowl also had a large, if slightly less terrifying cornice and was a bit steeper and open for longer, before quickly moderating in pitch. The runout led to groomers or trees that easily took me back to the upper lift.

Last on my list was 1 day at Soldier Mountain. Soldier is a family spot, that was apparently once owned by Bruce Willis. Slow doubles, cheep food and cheaper beer ($2 Guinness!!!), almost completely bald on the front face, with runs through the trees on skiers left. They were experiencing spring skiing in the middle of February, and had a few runs that were inaccessible due to dirt. Despite that, I had a blast, carving my way down past kids, grandparents, moms, dads, etc. The snow was mostly creamy, but there were some runs on the left, that were in the shade, that had chalky, fast snow. Soldier also has the coolest logo I have ever seen. It's Sgt stripes turned into a tree. I'm a state corrections Sgt, so I bought a t shirt and a water bottle.

Long story short, Idaho is fun, even in a not so great snow year. It is easy to get to, relatively inexpensive, and the concentration of Indy resorts makes it a no brainer IMHO.

hiddenvalley.jpg

Hidden Valley Brundage

trees near quad.jpg

Widely spaced trees near the Quad at Brundage

cornice.jpg

Skiers left cornice at Tamarack

bowl.jpg

Skiers left bowl at Tamarack

monument.jpg

Monument at Soldier

sgttree.png

Soldier logo

Thank you Sergeant! Great post. That looks like a fun trip. How did you manage to ski in all of those crowds?

Last edited:
Once or twice I had to wait almost a minute for a lift. Believe me when I say, I was so outraged, I considered writing a strongly worded letter to management!
Did ya bitch to Scott T?
“At Tamarack, our guests and homeowners are fortunate to not have to wait in twenty-minute, let alone one hour lift lines or be stuck in traffic waiting to get into a parking lot that is already full,” said Tamarack President Scott Turlington. “We’re proud to be a fiercely independent, family-owned resort which puts the guest experience first. If you’re frustrated by unprecedented lift lines this season, then we invite you to come experience the magic of Tamarack.”
To redeem their free Tamarack lift tickets, guests must present a valid 2021-22 Epic or Ikon Pass at the Tamarack Outfitters ticket desk in the Village. Offer valid for two, one-day lift ticket per person for the 2021-22 season. Projected closing day is April 3, 2022. For more information, visithttps://tamarackidaho.com/epiclines. Epic and Ikon passholders can also receive a 10% lodging discount at resort properties by using the code EPIC DEAL when booking lodging.

Did ya bitch to Scott T?
“At Tamarack, our guests and homeowners are fortunate to not have to wait in twenty-minute, let alone one hour lift lines or be stuck in traffic waiting to get into a parking lot that is already full,” said Tamarack President Scott Turlington. “We’re proud to be a fiercely independent, family-owned resort which puts the guest experience first. If you’re frustrated by unprecedented lift lines this season, then we invite you to come experience the magic of Tamarack.”
To redeem their free Tamarack lift tickets, guests must present a valid 2021-22 Epic or Ikon Pass at the Tamarack Outfitters ticket desk in the Village. Offer valid for two, one-day lift ticket per person for the 2021-22 season. Projected closing day is April 3, 2022. For more information, visithttps://tamarackidaho.com/epiclines. Epic and Ikon passholders can also receive a 10% lodging discount at resort properties by using the code EPIC DEAL when booking lodging.
Nah, but I will say that all the mountains had a really welcoming vibe from staff, and Tamarack stood outwith lifties that were adding to the stoke every time you got on or off the lift.

The only owner I met was at Soldier. Very nice older gent. I am really pulling for that place. They plan on adding another lift or 2, and while it is very cool now, I think it could be really special if they expanded a bit

How was the driving aspect of the trip?

1645469723028.png

This is why I wish Indy had more than 2 day options.

I was planning to do this exact same trip (with Bogus Basin added as a non-Indy stop); however, from the major NYC airports it's faster and easier to fly to the Alps than Boise. Thanks for the report -- I'll get there eventually.

How was the driving aspect of the trip?

View attachment 13175
This is why I wish Indy had more than 2 day options.
That doesn't really tell the story. Tamarack is 2 hours from Boise, Brundage a bit more. Stay anywhere near or between either and you have 4 days of skiing with minimal driving. I headed back to Boise and did Soldier basically as an hour and 40 minute each way day trip, which is about what the Catskill mountains are for me.

Back