Helderberg Region/Albany County

Low Angle Life

Anyone here have any experiences living in Albany County and more specifically the Helderberg Region or just general familiarity with the area? Curious about quality of life/lifestyle, commutes, access to the outdoors, community/cultural stuff, nice towns or whatever anyone has on general information.

I’m from there. It’s fine. Good fish fry. Everything you need is a twenty minute drive. Compared to the metro area, getting around is easy and pain free... and it’s a decent hub for SVT, Catskills, ADKs etc. You’re right in the middle so everything from Plattekill to Whiteface to MRG is basically day-tripable and Jiminy is under an hour for night skiing. Specific questions?

I’m from there. It’s fine. Good fish fry. Everything you need is a twenty minute drive. Compared to the metro area, getting around is easy and pain free... and it’s a decent hub for SVT, Catskills, ADKs etc. You’re right in the middle so everything from Plattekill to Whiteface to MRG is basically day-tripable and Jiminy is under an hour for night skiing. Specific questions?
No real specific questions, maybe you can comment on my general perception of the area and if it has any basis in reality? From a day to day life experience it seems like Delmar and Slingerlands would be the most comparable areas for someone coming from the suburban NY-Metro area. Beyond those communities to the south west a bit things seem to get a fair bit more rural fairly quickly and once you get out towards Rensselaerville your pretty well out there in an area that more or less is comparable to the Catskills? Do you think the south western part of Albany County would feel like the sticks for someone for the Jersey burbs? Access to skiing seem fairly good for variety but still looking at an hour and a half drive to nearly any area?

It gets rural quickly over there. Loudonville might be more like the suburban metro are. I guess it depends on what you like. I lived in Loudonville and Menands 5th grade through HS and then I was in and out of the area sporadically til I settled downstate. I have sisters in Latham and Loudonville now but another sister in Albany itself. I think I’d prefer living in the sticks by Thacher park or over near West Sand Lake on the other side of the river. Would you be working in Albany? Looking at school districts?

I don't want to get too ahead of it but a potential work opportunity near Westerlo, school districts are relevant only because my lady teaches. Suburban Albany area in general is unappealing to me, I like the sticks and could deal with south west Albany Co. Northeast Ulster Co would be an ideal compromise outside of commute times and distance which are a bit lengthy to the Westerlo area. Delmar/Slinglerlands seem like it would be the most similar to how we live now in terms of community, commute times and amenities but those are also the only town I have familiarity with. Middleburgh seems interesting but I know nothing about it or the Schoharie Valley.

I live in Berne. Moved here from Guilderland in June. I love it here. It takes me 25-30 minutes to get to work near SUNY. Roughly 15 mile commute passing through 3 red lights Never any traffic. People I have met are awesome. Very down to earth. Good hiking trails, few good bars and restaurants. I have my eye on a couple of BC ski spots. My only knock is the distance to the grocery store. Wish one was closer. Schoharie county is a bit of a hike to Albany.

I believe @GetAmped calls it the Magic Triangle.

That was originally:

Magic
Plattekill
Hickory
i also refer to it as the ski triangle. Magic, gore, plattekill. Albany puts you in striking zone for all 3, with a decent ride in the worst of conditions. Getting to these mountains from Berne will be a bit tricky after a good storm. Berne adds 1/2 hour to the ride, plus you are descending from a 1000 + feet. a little white knuckle to start the day.

I live in Berne. Moved here from Guilderland in June. I love it here. It takes me 25-30 minutes to get to work near SUNY. Roughly 15 mile commute passing through 3 red lights Never any traffic. People I have met are awesome. Very down to earth. Good hiking trails, few good bars and restaurants. I have my eye on a couple of BC ski spots. My only knock is the distance to the grocery store. Wish one was closer. Schoharie county is a bit of a hike to Albany.
Getting to Albany is not a huge concern, distance to groceries is definitely something that seems like it would be an adjustment, I'm assuming 20-30 minutes to a Hannaford or some place comparable and 30+ if you need anything from the Whole Foods or Trader Joes at Colonie Center mall? Do you know if the school districts around Berne, New Scotland and Guilderland are having issues with consolidation due to shrinking student populations? I know thats been a problem further south in the Catskills.

Back