Happy Thanksgiving

A little Turkey talk, if that’s cool.

Bird is in the oven. 19lb Bell & Evans fresh. Went with a wet brine overnight this year. Salt, peppercorn, brown sugar, rosemary sprigs, fresh citrus. Bed of carrots, celery, potato (to roast and eat) under the bird, a little poultry stock. Cavity stuffed with carrot, celery, onion, garlic, apple. Garlic/onion butter rubbed under the skin. Brushed with oil and sprinkled with herbs de Provence. New range so getting used to that, after a high heat half hour I’ll drop it down and use convection.

What’s your Turkey technique this year?

Last edited:
1637859383172.jpeg

That's what we are going to do with our 2020 "pod" friends for our annual Black Friday gathering at my house tomorrow. Daughter requested roast duck instead of turkey. Duck today too for the four of us since DD's SO is at our house for the Thanksgiving break too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy thanksgiving NYSB’ers. We’re just cooking a Turkey breast this year. The family is more dispersed than usual. We’re meeting up in Albany for dessert though.

I need to eat duck more.

Hmmm. Last night, I cooked just a turkey breast and made stuffing from scratch. Still spent 4 hours in the kitchen.

I suppose if you want to check off the “ate turkey” box for Thanksgiving a turkey breast makes some kind of sense. However, not having dark meat would (for me) be a letdown. Also, I’ll make stock using the bones tonight, and the turkey & rice soup tomorrow will be the best meal of the holiday weekend.

But I do, sincerely, hope you enjoyed your turkey breasts!

I am on pecan pie duty. It is done, as well as turning the leftover dough strips into crispy things with cinnamon and sugar.

I also have a can of cranberry sauce with the lines to contribute. Classic Midwest stuff.

Time to put my Christmas lights out. I take great pride in being the first on the block to have lights out. Ok, so there are two of us, and the other woman is 85 years old, but hey...

Back