Grasgehren, DE: 03/12/22

jamesdeluxe

During the 2.5-hour drive back to Zurich, there were a number of possibilities either right alongside or a few minutes away from my route. Since the majority of my ski days on this trip were at larger destination circuits, I decided to go small and Grasgehren on the Germany side looked interesting with a $20 ticket that would have me done by noon.

However, I wasn't completely sold until I saw their branding on a billboard a couple miles before the turnoff -- "Grasgehren: the slightly different ski area" -- that unapologetically targets the anti-resort crowd: families, ski tourers, and snowshoers. Great pic:
Grasgehren Pic.png

Here's what you're working with: two t-bars and one double chair covering 1,150 feet. All three lifts are slow so you don't come to Grasgehren expecting to rack up big vertical. You're here to relax amidst the beautiful scenery:
Grasgehren Map.jpg

I started on the looker's left. Even if you tuck and maintain speed through the connecting trail, you're still left with a few minutes of sidestepping in both directions:
20220312_101943.jpg

Given how most downhill ski areas do their best to eliminate any unnecessary physical exertion on behalf of their clientele, they could have easily put in a rope tow on this spot to help people get up the slope; however, I'm impressed that they didn't bother:
20220312_102014.jpg

Similar to Hochhäderich a few days earlier, there are two parallel t-bars here. Both were in operation because it was a Saturday and racers were running gates on one trail:
20220312_102535.jpg

Diesel power (they can't be happy with the increased fuel costs due to the Ukraine war):
20220312_103302.jpg

Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but once again -- absolutely perfect spring snow on the east-facing trails:
20220312_103122.jpg

After a bunch of smooth runs, I moved to the skier's right off the double chair. Nice touch with the lounge chair for the liftie:
20220312_111542.jpg

The strong sun had already melted snow in the trees. I suspect that they close most seasons by the end of the month:
20220312_110655.jpg

Corn snow over here too on this ESE facing run with the Kleinwalsertal serving as a backdrop:
20220312_111203.jpg

20220312_112514.jpg

By late morning, the snow on this facet was transitioning into mashed potatoes. You can see the top of Ifen in Kleinwalsertal (upper right-hand corner), six miles away as the crow flies:
20220312_112346.jpg

I wrapped up by 11:45 and got back on the road for my flight home. An enjoyable trip with a bunch of new-to-me ski areas and uninterrupted sun the entire week. Here's my map of the entire visit:
3-Täler Ski Trip.png

Pre-flight drinks at ZRH airport:
20220313_074410.jpg

Looking out over the tarmac:
20220313_074731.jpg

Last edited:
During the 2.5-hour drive back to Zurich, there were a number of possibilities either right alongside or a few minutes away from my route. Since the majority of my ski days on this trip were at larger destination circuits, I decided to go small and Grasgehren on the Germany side (green pin on the right) looked interesting with a $20 ticket that would have me done by noon.
View attachment 13889

However, I wasn't completely sold until I saw their branding on a billboard a couple miles before the turnoff -- "Grasgehren: the slightly different ski area" -- that unapologetically targets the anti-resort crowd: families, ski tourers, and snowshoers. Great pic:
View attachment 13888

Here's what you're working with: two t-bars and one double chair covering 1,150 feet. All three lifts are slow so don't come to Grasgehren expecting to rack up big vertical. You're here to relax amidst the beautiful scenery:
View attachment 13892

I started on the looker's left. Even if you tuck and maintain speed through the connecting trail, you're still left with a few minutes of sidestepping in both directions:
View attachment 13891

Given how most downhill ski areas do their best to eliminate any unnecessary physical exertion on behalf of its clientele, they could have easily put in a rope tow on this spot to help people get up the slope; however, I'm impressed that they didn't bother:
View attachment 13893

Similar to Hochhäderich a few days earlier, there are two parallel t-bars here. Both were in operation because it was a Saturday and racers were running gates on one trail:
View attachment 13894

Diesel power (they can't be happy with the increased costs due to the Ukraine war):
View attachment 13895

Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but once again -- absolutely perfect spring snow on the east-facing trails:
View attachment 13896

After a bunch of smooth runs, I moved to the skier's right off the double chair. Nice touch with the lounge chair for the liftie:
View attachment 13897

The strong sun had already melted snow in the trees. I suspect that they close most seasons by the end of the month:
View attachment 13898

Corn snow over here too on this ESE facing run with the Kleinwalsertal serving as a backdrop:
View attachment 13899

View attachment 13901

By late morning, the snow on this facet was transitioning into mashed potatoes. You can see the top of Ifen in Kleinwalsertal (upper right-hand corner), six miles away as the crow flies:
View attachment 13900

I wrapped up by 11:45 and got back on the road for my flight home. An enjoyable trip with a bunch of new-to-me ski areas and uninterrupted sun the entire week:
View attachment 13902

View attachment 13903
Perfect way to end the trip

James your adventures and the resultant reports and pics far exceed most ski magazine articles .

Bravo and as many others have said thank you so much for taking us all along as armchair adventurers

My pleasure and I appreciate the comments.
Especially like the,
"All three lifts are slow so you don't come to Grasgehren expecting to rack up big vertical. You're here to relax amidst the beautiful scenery:"
&
"Given how most downhill ski areas do their best to eliminate any unnecessary physical exertion on behalf of their clientele, they could have easily put in a rope tow on this spot to help people get up the slope; however, I'm impressed that they didn't bother:"

Attaboy

Back