Gore Mountain, NY: 3/2/12 Done for the Season

Harvey

Administrator
Ski Day 27: I skied for a week (Gore, Mad River, Cannon, Attitash, Wildcat, Cannon, Gore) and I am beat.

1-Gondola.jpg

I knew I didn't have much in me yesterday and my plan was to ski Sagamore, Barkeater, and then down to join the Ski Bowl festivities. I probably should have started at the Bowl, but I arrived in North River late on Thursday night had no food at the cabin - so I started at the Gore Base, to get some breakfast.

I went down Cedars around 8am figuring I would just wait for the lift no matter how long it took. I saw a patrolman at the Cedars rope who said that if I didn't mind waiting for a while down at the BRQ it was cool. When I got down there I was definitely early so I hopped into the trees and hung out for about 20 minutes, figuring I'd wait it out until 8:30 or until the lift started spinning.

2-BRQ.jpg

At 8:40 I saw another skier come down Cedars so I popped out and got in line.

A young patroller was not happy to see me. He checked my pass and seemed to doubt it's authenticity. I was respectful but some of the other skiers there were a bit hard on him.

3-Incredibly-Friendly-Lifty.jpg

Around 9:00 they loaded us onto the first chair.

4-Foggy.jpg

At the top the same patroller told us Sagamore wasn't open and we had to go down Echo. The skiers getting off the quad were very disappointed. Mike Pratt got off the lift soon after us and asked the patrolman to let us go. He reluctantly agreed.

6-Snowboarder.jpg

Sagamore

5-Where-it-happened.jpg

I headed down Sagamore and pulled something in my left leg near the bottom. It hurt, but I REALLY didn't want to ask for patrol's help after I'd made the one patroller so cranky.

I gingerly made my way down Sagamore rode the lift back up and made my way down Echo. I was basically skiing on one leg, doing traverses and trying to link them with one legged turns at each side of the trail. I could hear the skiers yelping with glee in Cirque, and was very sad to be missing it.

7-Cirque-Entrance.jpg

I knew the Echo headwall was going to be tough, but I just took it super slow. I traversed and made my left hand turns on my right leg. My right hand turns were another story. I couldn't turn on my left leg and I couldn't do a kick turn either. Eventually I figured out that I could do right turns on my inside (good) leg and made it to the bottom of the Echo headwall. It took me more than 30 mins to get to Twister's Little Sister.

It looked like patrol was about to opening TLS when I got there, and I waited about 10 mins for it figuring that the groomed surface and reduced hiking to get back to the base would really help me.

I took Twister down and it took me about an hour to change and get back to my car. Getting my boot off was especially tough. Oddly some movements are fine (can go down stairs no problem, but walking on the flat is harder). I was extremely lucky that driving was ok. I got in the car and drove home.

Hope my season isn't done, but if it is, this last week was pretty amazing, getting my ski days to a respectable total for a flatlander with a family. Speaking of family, I'm proud to be part of the Gore family, and I send my apologies to the patroller I upset. While he may have been a little strict with the rules, he was just trying to do his job.

Will see what the doc says.

Back