Gore Mountain, NY: 12/30/11 Wild Air!

Harvey

Administrator
Ski Day 9: Definitely don't have the pics to back up today. But I'll do the best I can.

Today felt like another day at the plant. The snowmaking plant. Basically I've been following the guns around. Lots of noise, mist, snow, low-visibility, whales, bumps and everything else that goes with it.

1-Manmade_Blizzard.jpg

Full steam ahead

Everyone I talked to was waiting for Patrol to drop the ropes on Wild Air. First run down the front and the rope was still up...

8-Wild-Air.jpg

First look at Wild Air

There was some kind of problem with Pine Knot. I heard the guns blew some gak overnight and the trail, and access to summit was closed for most of the morning. With no snowmaking planned for anything open up top, I accepted that I'd have a lower mountain day.

Zelda and I did a couple laps on Topridge to get while the gettin was good...

3-Topridge.jpg

4-Zach-Topridge.jpg

Eventually we came across this guy....

5-Patrol-Wild-Air.jpg

He told me I could duck on under, but I saw Suds streakin down the left side and waved him over for the honors...

6-Suds.jpg

...and he was gone in a flash...

10-Suds-Gone.jpg

While Neve was in her lesson I lapped Wild Air. It was a bit chunky funky, but fun as hell. Neve's lesson ended at 10:30 and when we came down she was skiing switch again...

7-Backwards.jpg

There are a lot of reasons "why people Telemark." Yet another:

You can lap a single, snowmaking, bumped out trail that is crowded with humanity and have a blast. My last four runs today ... I skied with a big grin. Really had fun.

9-Wild-Air.jpg

Back