Gore Mountain, NY: 12/29/13

Harvey

Administrator
Ski Day 9: Today was better than yesterday. It really surprised me.

J-Bar-View.jpg

First thing it was right around freezing up above and the cord was heavy duty, but sliceable to half a ski width. Really good cord. As is almost always the case Sunway Cord was primo. Other spots were very good too.

We headed to the top asap. Neve did a fantastic job on Uncas.

With some encouragement from a few trouble makers on the quad, we decided to let Neve try a groomed Hawkeye.

She did it without thinking, but then froze at the headwall. She was basically saying... I can't imagine a way down!

She made a few turns picked up too much speed and basically set it down. She cried for a minute and we skied on.

Down Cloud and she asked about Open Pit. It still had cord and I figured ... now or never.

We went for it and Neve took those 4 easy turns down skiers left, before you come to the ice. Then she traversed the entire headwall slicing off half the vert. She was a little scrapey but pretty darn competent. She cranked a turn at the side in a small amount of loose snow, and she was down.

I was quite impressed with her strategy.

Lower-Darby-View.jpg

The rest of the morning we lapped the Dark Side. We took a break at the Saddle and heard the triple was done for the day, so we spent some time on the North Side. Pete Gay had snow that rivaled Sunway.

Fan-Gun-on-Cloud.jpg

Fan Gun on Cloud

There were a bunch of fan guns set up and ready to go on the Dark Side. There were some big piles around and they had some sweet snow on them. Neve pushed for this route down each time:

Fan-Gun-Dark-Side.jpg

Hullabaloo-View.jpg

Hulla-View

High-Peaks-View.jpg

High Peaks from the Saddle Lodge

In the end we came back down the front side to ski. The Gondola line was really short, but Neve wanted to try the JBar out, so we did some laps before calling it.

A slightly better day than yesterday, certainly worth skiing, and as always way better than work.

Back