Gore Mountain, NY: 11/27/11

Harvey

Administrator
Ski Day 3: Today was a bit of a surprise. After skiing yesterday, you knew cover was going to be extremely thin, and thinner than yesterday. But the odd thing was that some of the most troublesome spots were actually more skiable than yesterday. SOME of them.

We got Neve another two hour lesson with Erin. Major bucks, but hey life is short, and it gave me enough time to do five or six laps of Bear Mountain, which was exactly what I wanted.

View-From-Gondola.jpg

First gondola, rode by myself.

The morning was subtly beautiful. All of the valleys had strips of mist running along them.

Top-of-Foxlair.jpg

Top of Foxlair

Distant-View.jpg

Distant Views

The first run was firm but totally edgeable - as it never went below freezing. After that I tele'd and relished every single slushy bump, and tried to work on "light-on-my-feet" parallel turns to snake through the obstacles.

The big brown spot from yesterday, right under the Gondola on Sunway, somehow now had a WROD that you could sail through without a thought. I have no idea where they were found the snow to do it:

The-Highway.jpg

Top of Quicksilver was showing signs of wear...

Top-of-Quicksilver.jpg

...and what came to be known as "Chocolate Corner" got even more chocolatey, possibly becoming more mud than snow...

Chocolate-Corner.jpg

I came down at 10:45 and did a run with Neve and Erin...

Bottom-of-Jamboree.jpg

Jamboree

Jamboree was getting a lot of use from beginners and experts alike. I told Neve we were going to do three runs and then head out, but she kept pushing and we did six total.

As a passholder, it's not hard to be psyched that your mountain went all out working nights to patch together 1700 feet of vert. But I was surprised at how many single ticket holders I saw. I guess it proves the point that hardcore apples come in all shapes and sizes. One thing is for sure, I am glad I skied this weekend.

Still ...fingers crossed for the pattern change that is creeping into some weather discussions tonight.

Last edited:
Back