Gore Mountain, NY: 03/20/11

jamesdeluxe

I'd been waiting all season to visit recently reopened Big Tupper in the northern ADKs, so I left my house at 4:30 am and girded my loins for a 5+-hour drive; however, when I arrived at North Creek around 8:30, BT's website was only showing 11.
I hadn't skied Gore since 2002, and the mountain has added a lot of terrain and infrastructure since then.

If you spend time on Harv's site, a decent amount of the forum posts are about Gore, and to be completely honest, I (Jason too) was getting overloaded/fatigued by the sheer amount of information provided by locals and/or season pass holders. Great if you want to know EVERYTHING viewed from every possible angle (including official and non-official names for every glade, rock, tree, and shrub on the mountain), but to a casual observer, sometimes a bit overwhelming.

I started by parking at the revived North Creek Ski Bowl/aka "Little Gore," which had a whopping 12 cars there:
file.jpg

Since the ski bowl is lower than the rest of the mountain and faces east(?), it was already in prime spring condition when I got on the lift at 9:45. I was by myself, so no decent in-action shots.
file.jpg

The trees to the left and right of the 46er trail under the lift were perfect by 11 am:
file.jpg

file.jpg

Then I crossed over to the main mountain and rode the Burnt Ridge quad, which has two nice cruisers off it, along with some long glade shots:
file.jpg

People often complain that Gore is disjointed with its many different trail pods -- i.e. you can't really ski the mountain's advertised 2,500-ish verts. The good thing about that kind of hill is that it a) spreads people out and leaves certain places overlooked by the hordes, and b) provides a bunch of different facets, which works out well on a spring day like yesterday.

Today, I'm heading over to Gore's polar opposite, Whiteface. What was originally forecast as a wintry mix may turn into five inches of fresh snow today.

Last edited:
Back