Gore Mountain: 3/6 - 3/7/24

wgo

Skied Gore for the first time this week and despite some challenging weather we had a very good time. On Wednesday the morning was mostly rain free but starting around 11:30 the rain picked up and we decided to call it a day around 1 PM. Managed 15 runs or so by skiing through lunch, mostly off of the straight brook and high peaks lifts. On Thursday the weather was much improved with some sun showing starting in the late morning. We got out to burnt ridge in addition to some runs of off the high peaks lift and afternoon runs off of the straight brook lift (with some northwoods runs sprinkled in throughout). Saw a little bit of everything as far as conditions go, but one constant was the consistently good conditions on Rumor.

Bottom line is that we really liked Gore. Blue trails were nice and twisty, black trails had some decent pitches and nice character and Rumor and Lies were both nicely steep. General vibe of the place was really cool. We missed not having the natural snow and glade runs available so hopefully they will be in play when we make it back (hopefully next season).

Last edited:
@wgo where do you normally ski?

@Harvey I live in central Virginia so my home resorts are in West Virginia and Virginia. Timberline WV when there is a powder day, Massanutten VA for my weekly fix.

The only pics I've ever seen of Timberline were dreamy.

I'm always fascinated by people who drive farther then I do.

This weekend I learned that Tom Blackwell of Plattekill Patrol comes from Wilmington Delaware every weekend. (What a solid guy.)

As Gore homers we get pretty focused on a few things and forget about stuff like this:

Blue trails were nice and twisty, black trails had some decent pitches and nice character and Rumor and Lies were both nicely steep. General vibe of the place was really cool.

Nice report.

The only pics I've ever seen of Timberline were dreamy.
Timberline is a good mountain for the area - 1000 legit vertical, 7-8 runs from the top that take full advantage of the vertical. In good seasons there are numerous glades and unmarked natural snow runs that make it ski much bigger than it looks. This season those runs were only available for about a 2 week period in mid-january - a real "ski it when you can" situation.

This season those runs were only available for about a 2 week period in mid-january - a real "ski it when you can" situation.

This certainly rings true for Plattekill too.

In some ways it sounds Timberline sounds like Plattekill. 1000 feet and bigger than it looks.

Reactions: wgo
In some ways it sounds Timberline sounds like Plattekill. 1000 feet and bigger than it looks.
Would love to check out Plattekill someday. If I was closer I would look to do it a week out if it looked like a good storm was coming. Being 7-8 hours away I would probably need to do it as part of a larger trip if conditions were good.

Back