Gore Mountain Conditions

Yesterday was an awesome day. Not only was it great to see skiers able to sit at tables and eat and drink like civilized persons, the entire mountain skied great. Due to a rare weekday opening of the Interconnect and the Hudson chair, we were able to do the top to bottom run of Gore from the top of Upper Steilhang behind the ski patrol hut to the yurt at the Ski Bowl. One run, no stops, 3.5 miles, 2800 vertical feet. Why? Because you can.

Yesterday was an awesome day. Not only was it great to see skiers able to sit at tables and eat and drink like civilized persons, the entire mountain skied great. Due to a rare weekday opening of the Interconnect and the Hudson chair, we were able to do the top to bottom run of Gore from the top of Upper Steilhang behind the ski patrol hut to the yurt at the Ski Bowl. One run, no stops, 3.5 miles, 2800 vertical feet. Why? Because you can.
Niiiiice!
About how long did it take ya? Did the snow conditions change at all much?
That run is on the bucket list.

Snow’s blowing off the trees up top.
1644693822191.png

Today was great. Very nice spring conditions. Skied about 830 to 3 with a long lunch break.

Before 10: North Quad areas was surprisingly firm (to me), Sunway was sweet hero snow mash potatoes.

Up top in the morning after 10: Skied Lies 2x, Rumor 2x and then Lies, to Topridge triple to Sunway and then lapped sunway on Twin Fawns trying to zipper route that little sucker. Nearly succeeded one time but caught an edge for an entertaining view for the chair ride.

Rumor skied really, really nice. The first time, I went skier's right, less steep but bigger and more narrow bumps (about one ski length). That was not the best line, but probably fear driven. The second run, some good tele skiers came up and I asked if the headwall was a better line, and they said, we'll see and ripped off some nice tele (!) hop turns. I did the joint between the headwall and the bumps skier's right, which was the best route in my opinion - steeper but easier to ski.

I worry what the freeze will do to Rumor. I did see below the headwall there was a zig/zag lightening shape crack a few inches wide and maybe 10-15 long. I imagine that is going to go loose at some point which won't be good.

Lies was really, really nice for my 2 Rumor warm up runs around 1015. But around 11, it was still good but not super sweet. On warmup runs there was a line of about 12 feet wide with like 5-8 inch deep mashed potatoes - very nice and fun.

After kid group, we had lunch and went to the ski bowl. Peaceful Valley was nice but I actually like Oak Ridge because, ironically, it is more peaceful. Moxham was really nice: mashed potatoes with mixed up chop and brown ground and grass. I like chop and mixed conditions, I just find it fun.

Then we lapped the village chair and at the end my son wanted to race me. I thought I was blowing him away and chilled and I look to my right and the little guy got me! My son and daughter were a blast to ski with. For some reason I think my daughter thought i was going to take her down 46'er but I had no intention of doing that. Family ski milestone: My daughter did her first on piste black at Gore, notching open pit and lower darby with her group (Open pit looked exactly like lies, so I am assuming the conditions were nice. )

Great 7 hour day with variety of weather - squall came through around 12 which was rain at bottom of burnt ridge, snow at top, sun 10 min later. Also saw an injury in the burnt ridge lift line - didn’t see what happened but Patrol had to shovel some blood stained snow into the woods after she was taken away sitting up on a snowmobile. Hope she is ok.

Crowded day so was at Ski Bowl and Burnt Ridge 10-1. 46er fun, Moxham too. I agree with the post about going top to bowl in one long run - I do it every time it’s open. Soft snow was fun everywhere. Lies was great early, went back to summit late in day and Hawkeye was surprisingly still good.

Gore skied better than I expected today given it was raining and 44 in Old Forge when I got up here last night. Mostly spring snow. Rumor was the pick. Things started really firming up around 245 when I came down my last run.

Worried about tomorrow...me thinks its going to be pretty icy with the hard freeze tonight and on the fence if it's worth it...

Folks! What is the route from top to ski bowl: Cloud to Santonini to Wood out to Pipeline to Peaceful Valley

Seems like you could also Go Cloud to Lower Cloud to Tahawus to Peace Pipe to Peaceful Valley.

Besides those two basic combos any other way? Have fun today.

Back