Garnet Hill, NY: 12/19/08

Harvey

Administrator
Ski Day 8

Almost, but not quite as smart as James, I headed north around 9:30.

I looked at the radar this morning and decided at 9am departure would be significantly easier than my usual 2pm vanishing act. Most of our staff was either coming in late or working from home anyway, due to the weather. I had a meeting that I postponed and another one that I moved up to 9 ...and was on the road by 9:30.

It was sleeting LOUD in the flatlands, calm and dry in the Lower Hudson Valley and snowing north of Albany. As I got to Glens Falls it was REALLY coming down. When I got to the Hudson in North River it was hard to see.

file.jpg

When I got to the cabin this was on the porch since last Sunday...some from Tuesday, some from today:

file.jpg

Cabin Steps

The view out the front:

file.jpg

I caught up on email, and headed out for a ski down the Road:

file.jpg

I jumped on to Old Faithful...

file.jpg

Old Faithful

I ran into Grace and Armondo. They were probably in their late 70s and snowshoeing on the trail. They live in MIAMI...with a second home on the hill...and they FLEW from Miami when they heard snow was coming. I can't BELIEVE I didn't take their picture. They were awesome.

I skied for about an hour and a half. Along Old Faithful to the Tailings to the view spot. Needless to say there was no view to be had. I skied home in the dark and snapped this pic on the snow board. It is all from today, taken around two hours ago. By now I think we've got about 8 inches. It's light (5 degrees) ... it doesn't build up on the steep main roof..it just keeps slidin off. Conditions should be good tomorrow.

file.jpg

Snow Board

These are the skis I used today. They are the same skis and boots I used the first time I skied at Gore. The boots are Asolo Snowfield and the Skis are Karhu XCD GTs:

file.jpg

BC Skis

file.jpg

BC "Boots"

Back