Fernie, BC: 2/26 - 3/3/23

Face4Me

Introduction

It was time for another “bucket list” trip … Fernie Alpine Resort in British Columbia.

Image 1.jpeg

I had booked the trip with the ski club I've travelled with a few times over the past few years which is based out of New York City. For this trip, I booked my air travel separately from the group. It turned out to be a fortunate decision, because the group's flight to Calgary was cancelled, and the main group didn't arrive until Monday, instead of Saturday, losing out on two days of skiing.

There was about a third of the group, who like me, had booked their own air travel. We all made our way to Fernie from Calgary on our own through a combination of Uber rides (none of the Uber drivers who accepted the ride had any clue what they had gotten themselves into!!!) and mountain shuttles. One thing to know about Fernie is that it's pretty remote … about a 3 plus hour drive from Calgary under good conditions, or 4 hours with an Uber driver who has no clue how to drive on mountain roads in winter weather conditions! I was just really happy that we got there alive!

As a side note, the airline industry completely sucks … if you're booking a trip that involves air travel, you should definitely consider travel insurance to cover you for delays, cancellations and lost bags. Out of the 17 of us who had arrived before the main group, I think there were only 5 who did NOT have a lost bag. I was one of those lucky 5.

The Mountain

Fernie's slogan is “Five Legendary Bowls”. The mountain is divided into these five bowls and two additional “zones”. Looking “up” the mountain, the bowls from left to right are Siberia, Timber, Currie, Lizard & Cedar. The Polar Peak zone is positioned above Currie Bowl and the Lower Mountain zone is positioned below Currie & Lizard Bowls. The vertical drop is about 3500 feet and the resort covers about 2500 acres.

Fernie is “old school” …

Image 2.png

If you're looking for modern lodges and lifts, you'll want to go elsewhere … you simply won't find it at Fernie.

Most of our time was spent in the Lizard, Cedar and Currie bowls. It was noticeably colder, windier and there was reduced visibility in the Timber & Siberia bowls, so we spent minimal time there. We also really didn't see much over there that appealed to us. Like many western resorts, I'm guessing that you really need some local knowledge to fully appreciate what the mountain has to offer and I suspect there was probably a lot there that we just didn't find.

Lizard Bowl is serviced by the Great Bear Express quad and the Boomerang triple. The bowl itself is mostly wide open, low angle terrain, and is divided into four “sections” as you traverse from left to right on a cat track around the bowl. The sections are named Arrow, Bow, Cascade and Dancer … get it … A-B-C-D! It all funnels back to the base of the Great Bear Express. Under the Boomerang chair, there was much steeper terrain and lots of tree runs including the Bear Chutes, Linda's Run and Kangaroo. There were some groomed trails in Lizard Bowl too, but we weren't there to ski groomers!

Cedar Bowl is accessed from the top of the Great Bear Express via the Ceder High Traverse and from the top of the Boomerang triple via Alpine Way. Both of these traverse around the bowl from right to left. You can drop in pretty much anywhere along the traverse. There were some wide open sections, groomed (sort of) trails and tree runs. Something for everyone! From the high traverse, you could continue much further out along Snake Ridge, but we never made it that far out. Everything in Cedar Bowl funnels down to the Haul Back T-Bar. The T-Bar brings you up from the base of the bowl to a ridge where you can then ski back to the base of the Boomerang chair. Depending on how far to the left you traversed in the bowl, instead of taking the T-Bar, you can follow a long winding cat road to the base of the Boomerang chair (snowboarders beware!).

To get to Currie Bowl, you must first ride the Timber Express quad and then ski down to the White Pass quad. From the top of the White Pass chair, you can turn left and ski into Timber Bowl, or you can turn right and ski along the Currie Bowl traverse. As I mentioned earlier, we only did a couple of runs in Timber Bowl. That was probably a mistake, but one I'll have to correct on my next visit to Fernie.

The Currie Traverse leads to the Polar Peak chair, more on that later, and then continues along the top of the bowl with endless opportunities to drop in wherever you want. It then continues along the ridge separating Currie & Lizard bowls, past Corner Pocket & Easter Bowl, more on those later as well, and other points where you can find chutes and tree runs that drop into Currie or Lizard bowl. You really need to pay very close attention to where you're going, or have a local showing you the way, as it can be very difficult to find some of the features identified on the trail map.

When you ski Fernie, you should expect to do a LOT of traversing.

As I mentioned earlier, Fernie is old school. Some of the lifts are a bit old and slow, and the lift network does not allow for “lapping” the best terrain on the mountain. When skiing into Cedar Bowl, you need to take either 2 or 3 lifts to get back to the top, depending on what you're trying to do. First, you have to take the T-Bar. From there, you ski down to the Boomerang chair and take that up. If you want to get to the high traverse, you must then ski from the top of the Boomerang chair down to the bottom of the Great Bear Express, and then take that to the top. A chair from the bottom of Cedar Bowl straight back to the top of the high traverse would be awesome!!! It's possible to get to the Great Bear Express without first going to the top of Boomerang, but that's a LONG flat cat road that isn't very much fun!

In Currie Bowl, with very limited exception, anything you ski there forces you to return to the main base area, take the Timber Express to the top, then ski down to the White Pass chair, and take that back to the top to access Currie Bowl again. As with Cedar, a chair from the bottom of Currie Bowl to the top would be great.

The difficult access to these bowls would absolutely drive certain people insane, but I think that in reality, this is what made it so special. It wasn't about getting 30 runs and 50,000 vertical feet … it was about the adventure, and being in the midst of a very special place. It was awesome!

The Skiing

At the time of our visit, Fernie was having a “down” year. They were 1 – 2 meters below their average snowfall for this time of year. Luckily for us, we got there at a good time. Most of the days we were there, anywhere from 2 – 5 inches of snow had fallen overnight or early in the morning. The little added snowfall, along with overnight winds, made for very fresh off-piste conditions each day.

On our first three days, we hit run after run of powder loaded skiing … as one member of our group put it, we were on a powder high!!! The only time we weren't in boot top or deeper powder was on the groomers, either getting back to a lift or going from one area to another. The mountain was essentially empty all week. In most cases, we had absolutely no wait at all, or at worst, 8 or 10 people in front of us. I've never had an experience anywhere close to this.

On our fourth day of skiing, we had the good luck to get to the top of Polar Peak. Apparently, this lift is rarely open, and we even had some locals tell us that they've skied Fernie for years and have never gotten to the top of this lift. We had just gotten to the top of the White Pass quad, and the rumors were flying that Polar Peak was going to open at any minute. Sure enough, after standing around for a few minutes, we saw the first loaded chairs going up. We high-tailed it over there, along with many others, and I think we were the 10th or 11th chair up. As you can see in the photo, they were loading every other chair, “Oh the horror”, to limit the number of people up there at any given time.

Image 3.jpeg

At the top, ski patrol was there to “size you up”. There were two options when you unloaded from the chair … go to the left, for lower angle, intermediate (yeah right) and single black diamond terrain, or to the right, for double black diamond, “no fall zone” options. The patroller we spoke to said we would be OK to go to the more advanced terrain, but we decided to “play it safe” and take the “easier” route. To be perfectly clear … it wasn't easy!!! The entry into the bowl at the top of the peak was a truly brutal descent with howling winds, massive chunks of ice and rock below the snow, and near zero visibility. It reminded my of navigating through the waterfall in Slide 1 at Whiteface. Once you got through all of that, you were now faced with an unbelievable stretch of untouched knee deep powder that I'll remember for a very long time. Sheer joy!!!

Image 4.png

We were so cold from the lift ride to the top, and exhausted from the whole experience, that we decided not to go up again. Instead, we traversed all the way across Currie Bowl until we reached Corner Pocket … another item on our checklist. You can Google “Corner Pocket” and find videos and descriptions of this somewhat unusual feature, but to sum it up, it's a chute that provides access to Lizard Bowl from Currie Bowl. The chute doesn't hold snow so they've placed tires and a rope that allows skiers and riders to make their way down the chute by side-stepping on the tires as you hold onto the rope. It was not nearly as big a deal as I had expected when some other skiers had described it to us a couple of days earlier.

Image 5.png

Image 6.png

Once you've descended down the chute, you're at the top of Lizard Bowl, with a stretch of several hundred feet of low angle, nearly untouched powder. It was incredible!!!

On our fifth ski day, we got an unexpected powder day … it was snowing from the minute we woke up until the minute we left the mountain. Over the course of the day, about a foot of fresh snow had fallen. It was one of the most incredible powder days I've ever had. Ski Patrol had closed a lot of the mountain due to avalanche danger, but what was open was amazing and no one was complaining about the terrain we couldn't ski.

Image 7.jpeg

Image 8.jpeg

On our sixth, and final day, my legs were COMPLETELY shot. I was running on fumes. I struggled through the morning to keep up with the group I had been skiing with all week. For our final planned run before a lunch break, we decided to take another run in Currie Bowl. Some of the people I was with rode up with a local on the chair behind mine, and he agreed to take us to Easter Bowl. Easter Bowl is actually on the far left side of Lizard Bowl (looking uphill), but access to it is from the other side of the ridge along the Currie Traverse. We had skied the lower portion of it several times over the previous days, but this would be the first time we'd be coming in from the top.

It was a really good thing we had someone with us to show us the way, because I don't think we would have been able to find it without him.

It was crazy long … crazy steep … and crazy deep!!!

The Summary

The skiing was phenomenal. On a scale of 1 – 10, I'd give it a 15.

The overall experience was probably about a 7. Fernie is pretty remote, and the town is not much of a resort town. There weren't a lot of restaurants, and most of the shops in town closed at 5:00. There are condos and lodges at the mountain, but from what I understand, they're very expensive, and there's nothing else there. The ride from town to the mountain takes about 10 minutes.

We did get to go curling one night, and that was a lot of fun, but for the most part, we spent most nights in the bar at our hotel. If you're looking for a great resort experience, this won't be it. If all you care about is the skiing, book your trip now.

Photos are woah! Reading now.

That place is spectacular. I love the tire solution.

You said "very long time" but I think you really meant "forever."

Nothing better than an exhilarating experience that will stay with you FOREVER.

So psyched for you man!

Last edited:
fantastic report!!!!!

That one photo of the sunlit peak with everything else overcast is awesome. Looks like you guys scored! Can’t get enough of interior BC, although I never skied Fernie. Might have to add it to the list.

That one photo of the sunlit peak with everything else overcast is awesome. Looks like you guys scored! Can’t get enough of interior BC, although I never skied Fernie. Might have to add it to the list.
The sun was something of a unicorn ... there were very few moments where we saw the sun. Visibility was a constant problem throughout our trip. Staying in the trees helped a lot, but it was still pretty tough.

Polar Peak was only open for about 2 hours that day ... Part of the reason we didn't go right back up was because from the time we initially got to the lift, to the time we came down, the sun had already disappeared and we were back to completely flat light.

Back