Endo's All Time Favorite Skis Thread

Endoftheline

Not tech savvy enough to start a new thread or what the heading should be. Maybe, Date yourself, have you owned any of these skis?

I had a pair of hexcels in the early 80's, I think they were 195's. I never really loved the ski and I think they delam'ed. replaced 'em in '86 with some RD Coyotes. Not on the list but they were badass but long gone.

Hart freestyle which were so so.
Olin Mark VII ‘s were ok.
Olin made a Ballet ski which had convex bases . I bought a pair and quickly realized I wasn’t cut out for that type of skiing lol.

I had a lot of friends who had mark IV’s and they loved them!
I can still see my one friend standing with his poles looking around and realizing someone stole them.

Mostly had Rossis , I’m partial to the brand but have to laugh when someone joked that they were made from sawdust and Tampons 🤪

Last edited:
Mostly had Rossis , I’m partial to the brand but have to laugh when someone joked that they were made from sawdust and Tampons 🤪

I've had a few pairs of Rossis, all great skis. My first "real skis" were Allais Majors, lots of metal and a wood core. Down the road a bit I bought a pair of team GS skis from my ski racer nephew, they just had "Rossignol Rossignol" on the top sheet. Great skis but they delammed quickly, obviously had the construction you describe. Still have my namesake Sick Birds (AKA the Scratch BC) mounted tele, they are indestructible. My favourite skis ever were Line Prophet 100s, wish I hadn't sold them.

You might find this entertaining:

I've had a few pairs of Rossis, all great skis. My first "real skis" were Allais Majors, lots of metal and a wood core. Down the road a bit I bought a pair of team GS skis from my ski racer nephew, they just had "Rossignol Rossignol" on the top sheet. Great skis but they delammed quickly, obviously had the construction you describe. Still have my namesake Sick Birds (AKA the Scratch BC) mounted tele, they are indestructible. My favourite skis ever were Line Prophet 100s, wish I hadn't sold them.

You might find this entertaining:

I’m on my 3rd pair of 2007 B2 Bandits. They are still popping up on eBay. My last pair may have been used twice. I like to dip into side country a lot and it’s not as painful when I hit rock as I only have a $150.00 invested.

I had the Salomon Force 9s in the early 90s. They were great bump skis. Still can't believe I was skiing 197s back then. I'm only 5'6"!
Yup, a soft slalom ski or bump ski marked as "extreme" ski!

They probably weren't that great of a ski honestly but I loved them. The marketing and cool looking cap construction definitely got me.

The Dynastar Bigs first gen I think were the most impactful in the mid 90's to make the transition from skinny skis to more fatter skis for free riding or powder skiing. They changed the game with their super light foam core and 90-ish mm under foot. They wouldn't last very long though unfortunately. that kind of light weight snappy-ness comes with a price.

I never had a pair, I skied on Volant Chubbs around that time or whatever else I got a hold of but Volants were my main skis my last two years in Jackson. They could be argued as another "game changer" ski but the Bigs still the show imho with TGR's sponsorship and advertising. Rossignal had a ski before the Bandits too in the 90mm under foot range called the V-Pro...I think? They were grey and all of the cool guys at Alta around 97-98 were on them.

The Chubbs were sick skis, the steel cap on Volant were incredibly quiet and skied like Cadilacs eating up vibrations and chatter but they bent easily if you stuffed a tip really hard.

Into the 2000's I wasn't as aware of ski trends but I did stick with the Volkl Gotamas for several years. That was a great ski at the time. It's up there for my all time favorites.

More recently I have to say that Atomic Bent skis are up there for super forgiving playful free ride skis.

In 96-97 I had the K2 El Caminos, I mentioned the Fours because they were the most popular but I never had those. These two models were released at the same time and brought in the popularity of shaped skis.

Back