Elk Mountain, PA 1-18-2013

x10003q

Elk Mountain has been on the goto list for a long time. Driving my son back to school provided an excuse to ski a 12:30-4:30 shift on Friday. Elk lives up to its billing. There are 11 black diamonds at Elk and we skied the 9 that were open. These trails would be diamonds at most Eastern ski areas. The diamonds all ski a little differently. The trails feel similar to the expert trails off the double at Plattekill, although they are not quite as steep and have a longer runout. Conditions were mostly excellent packed powder with a few spots of frozen granular underneath.

View of the double/quad heading up the steepest trail Tunkhannock.

P1010739.jpg

Riding the double looking up the East Slope and Susquehanna

P1010741.jpg

The base lodge

P1010742.jpg

In all the pictures you can see the results of Elk ownership planting over 13,000 mostly Norway Spruce trees over the years. It gives the place a feel of skiing at a more northern mountain. These trees seem to act as wind blocks for chairlifts and snowmaking.

Riding the quad - there is a double hanging on the other side of the tower. It was ski right on all afternoon.

P1010748.jpg

Looking at the steepest part of Tunkhannock

P1010754.jpg

The trails were empty and covered with packed powder. There are nice views of farms and the Endless Mountains.

P1010759.jpg

There are a lot of wide open trails, this one is where the trails end at the quad. They were blowing snow on 2 trails as temps remained around 20 degrees all afternoon.

P1010760.jpg

The view from the top of Lackawanna was quite nice.

P1010762.jpg

Looking down Susquehanna

P1010765.jpg

The mountain faces NE so the shadows hit the steep trails first.

P1010769.jpg

Classic Pennsylvania

Pabeer.jpg

We really enjoyed skiing Elk. I don't know if we will be back as I can get to the Catskills in less time. The mountain was worth the trip this time.

Back