Custom Footbeds or Patriot/similar

Andy_ROC

I watched this Deb Armstrong video over the weekend and it rekindled my desire to look at aftermarket footbeds. What caught my attention is that she's moved the same footbed from boot to boot over decades.

Have any of you done custom footbeds? Or have you simply upgraded from stock to something a little more moldable like Patriot footbeds as example?

I'm really curious about this and while my boots fit great I've always felt like I could benefit from a bit more gap filling under my foot.

Curious to know what you all may have done here.

Thanks

I'm still using a pair or footbeds that Keith Holmquist made for me maybe 20 years ago that I've used in at least 4 pairs of boots That video confirms my opinion that they last a long time.
Last year I finally did the experiment and skied one-in/one-out and I couldn't tell the difference. I've spoken to other skiers (including a PSIA examiner) who don't use them. I think you won't need them if your foot is rigid enough. YMMV

mm

I had a custom footbed’s, they lasted 2 seasons and my balls of feet started going numb. Footbed’s imho are a must but don’t need to pony up for a custom. I good quality over the counter footbed has done me right. I get Powerstep footbed’s from my podiatrist, think most important thing is to get the right height arch support is key, I also prefer them to not be rigid.

I had a custom footbed’s, they lasted 2 seasons and my balls of feet started going numb. Footbed’s imho are a must but don’t need to pony up for a custom. I good quality over the counter footbed has done me right. I get Powerstep footbed’s from my podiatrist, think most important thing is to get the right height arch support is key, I also prefer them to not be rigid.
Good footbeds will help some people. Bad footbeds will hurt everyone.

mm

My first custom footbeds lasted about 10 years. I got them from my central NC boot fitter when I bought the first pair of good, properly fitted boots from him. I could tell they helped, compared to the off-the-shelf footbeds I'd been using in the previous pair of boots (also bought in NC, but at a ski shop in the mountains). I have a relatively high arches.

When I had Intuition liners (previous pair of boots) tweaked at Taos Boot Doctors a few years ago, it was clear the old footbeds were cracking. So I got whatever custom footbeds they sold. Certainly intend to move them to the next pair of boots. Since I'm skiing 50+ days a season, it's well worth the investment to have boots that are dialed in completely.

When I got lightly used boots for my adult niece, we took them to a boot fitter in Lake Placid after she skied them for a day at Whiteface. The boots were a decent fit, certainly much better than any rental boots she'd ever had, but one wasn't quite right. She's a very good ballet dancer. Started young and still doing ballet as a 30-something. He recommended moldable footbeds that were around $50 back then. As opposed to the $200-300 custom heat-moldable footbeds. Once those were set up and in the boots, the look on her face made it clear they made a difference. Before her toes were pushing up because her arch wasn't supported enough.

Bottom line is that what type of footbeds are worth the cost depends a bit on your feet. As is generally the case with ski boots. A good boot fitter is always worth talking with before making a decision.

Big fan of custom footbeds, real custom footbeds and not cheap ‘moldable’ footbeds (although I have had those that are far superior to stock footbeds). Of course, my street shoe size is 11.5 and I’ve been skiing in 10.5 boots ever since my (shitty) racing days, so fine tuning makes a big difference. Last year I moved my custom footbeds to a new boot without issue, so the investment, which is relatively small for the benefit received, has life.

Found that Evo has a good overview of footbeds. I have a feeling that what my niece got in Lake Placid was a basic Patriot footbed.

Customs are great. Though, they won't fix bad boot fit, if you got a shell or size that doesn't fit your foot. I move mine between boots, no problems.

Back